Linux World Day 3, Looks like DOlson Wins !!

Relic2K

JaseP:

Go and pre-order Medal of Honor:

http://www.tuxgames.com/details.cgi?referr...son&gameref=104

Pre-Order???

I don't pre-order ANYTHING. I'm morally opposed to paying for something that isn't available yet. The only things I'll pay for in advance are deposits for labor to be done.

I WILL buy a copy of MOHAA when the Linux part is available, though.

Does anybody know,... ???;

There are a lot of game ports coming out,... for example we now have CVS access to FreeSpace 1&2,... and Neverwinter Nights is coming out soon. MOHAA is now running natively in Linux. But,... How many of these titles can be installed as root and made playable across the entire system and how many must be installed in the /home directory of the user who is going to play them??? I have a fairly generous amount of space made available in my /usr partition, and my /home partition was designed to be holding some wine/winex stuff and user data, but not really for holding Linux binaries...

So what's the deal with installation of some of these ports??? Can they be installed in the /usr partition or are they user-specific executables???

JaseP:

Go and pre-order Medal of Honor:

http://www.tuxgames.com/details.cgi?referr...son&gameref=104

Pre-Order???

I don't pre-order ANYTHING. I'm morally opposed to paying for something that isn't available yet. The only things I'll pay for in advance are deposits for labor to be done.

I WILL buy a copy of MOHAA when the Linux part is available, though.

Does anybody know,... ???;

There are a lot of game ports coming out,... for example we now have CVS access to FreeSpace 1&2,... and Neverwinter Nights is coming out soon. MOHAA is now running natively in Linux. But,... How many of these titles can be installed as root and made playable across the entire system and how many must be installed in the /home directory of the user who is going to play them??? I have a fairly generous amount of space made available in my /usr partition, and my /home partition was designed to be holding some wine/winex stuff and user data, but not really for holding Linux binaries...

So what's the deal with installation of some of these ports??? Can they be installed in the /usr partition or are they user-specific executables???

1) Fine. Don't preorder it. I don't care. It was just a suggestion. If TuxGames lists it, it will be released. Period.

2) What are you smoking? Name one game that requires you to install it into your home directory. And I don't mean some crap game that you just download like Egoboo. I mean games like Quake 3, UT, etc. I install EVERY game I have into /usr/local/games/. If it doesn't go there, it doesn't go on my system. So far, I haven't had to reject any games.

I guess you just have to know what your doing to do it right.

1) I understand you. But this *is* a free game, so I'll play it. It's unlikely that the US army will recruit me because of any intense brainwashing in this game, since uhh... well, I'm not in the USA.

Me neither, but I feel sorry for brainwashed children everywhere. :(

I will also play it because it's free. hell.

2) You can't yet, since it's not totally done yet. Don't you worry, I'll be posting here as soon as it's out. :)

What? DOlson post about games? What's going on? :wink:

Keep it coming!

2) What are you smoking? Name one game that requires you to install it into your home directory. And I don't mean some crap game that you just download like Egoboo. I mean games like Quake 3, UT, etc. I install EVERY game I have into /usr/local/games/. If it doesn't go there, it doesn't go on my system. So far, I haven't had to reject any games.

I haven't tried installing any of these new ports... So I have no basis for knowing.

I DO know that you used to have to install the old WordPerfect (not the one they ported using wine, but the one that had a native executable) as a user because installing as root create some security concerns.

But thanks for answering the question, even if you did question my sobriety...

I haven't tried installing any of these new ports... So I have no basis for knowing.

I DO know that you used to have to install the old WordPerfect (not the one they ported using wine, but the one that had a native executable) as a user because installing as root create some security concerns.

But thanks for answering the question, even if you did question my sobriety...

Well, WordPerfect is FAR from a game man...

And installing anything as root can cause security problems... That's why you don't run as root on a regular basis.

But anyhow, as I said, all the games I've tried work just fine. They usually just use ~/.something for saving the prefs and saved games in. It's great.