Web pages refuse to load sometimes..

Lowe

This question isn't really distro specific, but since i'm using a different distro i thought i would put it here. Anyway, i have this problem with all browsers i can happily be browsing the web then all of a sudden no webpage will load, however my downloads and stuff will still download fine but webpages won't error or anything they just won't load, period(This lasts for about 2 mins, and happens at least 10 times a day).I've searched everywhere for an answer but can find no one with a similar problem, i also had this problem on my old pc too and it only happens on linux, i have a feeling it's related to firestarter. Don't know if this is related but, I also get this error from various apps aswell "105 no buffer space available".

I doubt anyone will know, but it's worth a try. =/

Have you tried disabling ipv6? That caused a lot of slow, quirky internet problems with some of the earlier 2.6 kernels. In mdk you add this line to /etc/modules.conf to keep it from loading:

alias net-pf-10 off

Other distros, particularly debian based distros, may use a different config file but the idea is the same. If you want to test if this is the problem you can try manually removing the ipv6 module. First test to see if the module is loaded by opening a console, su to root and run:

# lsmod

which lists all loaded modules. If you see an ipv6 module loaded you can unload it with:

# rmmod ipv6

then see if you internet problems go away.

If it works, you can consult your distro documentation re editing your module config file to prevent the ipv6 module from loading or just do "rmmod ipv6" every time you boot up.

Have you tried disabling ipv6? That caused a lot of slow, quirky internet problems with some of the earlier 2.6 kernels. In mdk you add this line to /etc/modules.conf to keep it from loading:

alias net-pf-10 off

Other distros, particularly debian based distros, may use a different config file but the idea is the same. If you want to test if this is the problem you can try manually removing the ipv6 module. First test to see if the module is loaded by opening a console, su to root and run:

# lsmod

which lists all loaded modules. If you see an ipv6 module loaded you can unload it with:

# rmmod ipv6

then see if you internet problems go away.

If it works, you can consult your distro documentation re editing your module config file to prevent the ipv6 module from loading or just do "rmmod ipv6" every time you boot up.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to remove it and got an error.

ERROR:Module ipv6 is in use

I'm using debian, would be using mandrake but can't get it installed because it freezes at loading the sata drivers. =/

Arctic thanks a lot for that, i think that might just of fixed it. I followed step 3 and also disabled ipv6 in firefox webpages load a lot faster now, i just hope my problem doesn't return. Oh and i lost all data on my harddrives mandrake corrupted my sata drives. =(

Need to download all that music again! :angry:

I'm sticking to good old debian and never trying other distros again, it's dangerous! :lol: