Gnome menus refresh

Guest ado

Hello everyone.

I have a problem with gnome in mandrake.

1. When instaling my rpm it won't display the program in the main menu of the gnome-panel but after i have loged out and then loged back than my custom menu entries are visible in the panel. But in kde are the custom menu entries automaticly displayed ... there is no need of logout/login.

I've searched the whole internet for this solution about refreshing the gnome panel, and some folks said only killall gnome-panel is the only good sugestion.

OK then killall it shall be.

2. I put in my spec file for my program a line at the end

if [ `pgrep gnome-panel`]

then

kill `pgrep gnome-panel`

fi

This killz the gnome panel and then it apears back again but stil no menus. But if i open a new terminal and there type kill `pgrep gnome-panel` it killz the panel but when it apers the menu entries are visible.

For the first time in my life i HATE gnome!!! :angry:

Could someone help me with my problem?

thanx,

ado

I sometimes get this issue with KDE too. In KDE, I've run MenuDrake (System/Configuration/Other) and then clicked the Save button (instead of logging out and back in again).

My menu was then updated within KDE. As I don't install/remove applications that much, I've not really delved into it further other than solve it this way. Try the same in Gnome, at least it'll save you from logging out to refresh the menu.

Apologies it's only a slight fix, someone else may post additionally with a more permanent fix. :D

try;

update-menus && killall gnome-panel

My script has update-menus befora only this time i added you're suggestion and added killall gnome-panel.

Stil the same effect. It won't refresh them.

the files in /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu

the directory files and desktop files are all on right places.

bvc: isn't it anoying if u do rpm -ivh my_package.i386.rpm and than at one time u're gnome-panel disapiers and than comes back :)

Now i like KDE :)

ianw1974:

when u do rpm -ivh mz_package ... there is no clicky ... only awk,sed and grep :)

thnax anyway,

Some more sugestion?

thnax,

ado

sounds a bit weird to me... i always had my new apps shown in the gnome menu after some seconds.

you can try the following: within gnome, start menudrake and let it update the menus. maybe that fixes your problem.

bvc: isn't it anoying if u do rpm -ivh my_package.i386.rpm and than at one time u're gnome-panel disapiers and than comes back :)

not really because I rarely use the menus :P

...but when I have, I'm like arctic, seems weird because they're usually there for me.

I know that if I install a non official mandriva rpm such as a rh or some hack crap, I do not expect it to show up in the menu at all.

If I'm on ubuntu and I install a sarge .deb, I don't expect to see it at all in the menu either (although I have the debian menu installed as well....more stuff to tinker with).

The new standard menu sys is just that ..."new", it'll be a while, if ever, before pkg maintainers comply.

arctic:

Well, i think u're appz are located in the gnome menu under internet,office or something. These menus exist allready, thats why they appear automaticly.

But in my case i'm trying to create a new section in the top level, like internet,Graphics,Games,... etc.

I think there is the problem, because if i slip my app under Applications submenu, there is no problem. But i have my orders NOT to do so, because i get then problems with other distros.

KDE has this nice ability that keeps track off the progz and menus that are beeing installed.

The freedesktop shuld be taken more siriouse that some standards shud be made, but still i'm only an linux users and a invidual. Look at me go wild. :wall:

Some more suggestions, i'm open for new ideas.

thanx,

ado

Edited by ado