I'm about to install 10.2

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The beauty of Mandriva10.2 is that you can put it on any Hard Drive. Unlike that Windy OS that thinks it is so important that it must have the First hard drive .

If your 2nd HDD is big enough, I would put 10.2 on it.

When it comes to selecting the boot installer, I would select Grub instead of Lilo, for bootloader and select MBR as the place to install it.

Grub is less likely to write incorrectly to the MBR than Lilo.

If you choose to use Lilo and at reboot you get a load of 9999999999999999999999999999s then you have not written Lilo cleanly to the MBR. There is another thread running at the moment dealing with booting up prob so have a look at it.

You won´t regret your move to Mandriva.

Cheers. John.

I must not forget. A huge welcome to the MUB :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by AussieJohn

yea, its to late to choose what one to use kause i used iolo, but now heres the problem, when i choose to boot linux or failsafe, it flashes all its little loading msgs then comes to this message and stops. what should i do

apm: Bios Version 1.2 flags 0x03 (dirver version 1.16ac)

hello and welcome onboard :)

it could be related to different things i guess. maybe it is some scsi or usb devices that don't work with the kernel instantly, maybe the bios needs an upgrade but maybe you should try this first:

unplug all unneccessary stuff that is connected to your box (card-readers, scanners, usb-drives,...) when the system gets to the boot-select screen (lilo), hit f1. now boot with the following option:

linux noapic

maybe that will get your box running. good luck :)

OK, let's hold on the BIOS thing for now.

I'm assuming you've reinstalled now, have grub installed as your boot loader, and are still having the same problems, with the same error message? Can you confirm?

If this is so, have you tried what artic suggested? When you reboot your computer, press F1 at the boot loader screen, and then type:

linux noapic

Does your system boot, or do you still get the same error message? Something else you can try:

linux acpi=off

Does your system boot with this? Please post back what you've attempted, and what error messages, if any you've received?

This will help us get you through your problem further.

humm i tryed what arctic said and f1 didnt work so i typed in c to goto the command line and typed it in and it said it wasnt a viable command.

i dont realy get an erorr message its like it freezes up at this point and its always at the same point, i know its not the computer or the bootloader because it boots windows just fime, i tryed booting in failsafe but it dose the same thing

ima boot right now and try to get this f1 to work...

yea i switched to grub

Edited by bradly.lambert@gmail.com

I don't use grub myself, I prefer LILO. However, you should be able to press ESC and it'll give you a command line.

You don't need to type "boot" first, just one of:

linux noapic

linux acpi=off

or possibly a combination of:

linux noapic acpi=off

Does that help any better? And don't worry, we'll get there in the end, so stay calm, and we'll get it sorted.

when you boot the system, can you get to the different terminals? (hitting alt + F1 to alt + F7) if yes, switch between them and try to note roughly what error messages you get (and post them here later). this could help us finding the cause of the problem.

what makes me wonder is that the system tells you that it cannot find the path to the kernels and their boot options. when you downloaded and burned the images, have you done a md5sum check in order to verify that you didn't get a faulty burn? a bad burned package could one of the reasons for your problems.

a bios upgrade can be done usually by downloading the necessary package from your motherboard-manufacturers site.but wait with the bios upgrade until we definitely see no alternative.

another thing. you should perhaps download a linux-live-cd like knoppix or kanotix. we can take a deeper look at your system with this "rescue" cd.

sorry that i cannot give you better help right now. but don't give up. it is very rare that we fail to get a system up and running. :)

ok i tryed hitting alt+f1 and alt+f7 before grub loads and after and during the boot process, neither times did it do anyhting.

i didnt do md5sum because i dont know how or even what that is.

i have a knoppix 3.9 cd and if you want me to get on that we can talk on gaim on that or what ever you want. ill be on for about another 7 hours before i goto bed

Let's do this step by step.

First, does your cd1 boot ito the install routine?

If it does, do a default install, and be sure that lilo is installed to the mbr. lilo is a gui-er bootloader and less intimidating to the beginner.

md5sum is a way to verify the integrity of your download. If the iso is not good, then the installation may be partially broken or totally messed up. I am attaching a program for running md5sum checks in windows. After downloading this program, rename it to "acsvi.exe" and install it. Use it to verify your iso prior to burning.

Sorry, attachment was out of date.

Try this link