Please help me [solved]

Sunsela

Hi,

Please help me solve a sound issue with Ensoniq CT 5880 on Mandriva 10.1 that did not exist before I removed a KVM to share a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Also being used was an adapter to use one set of speakers for the two different computers.

Initially, upon installing Mandriva 10.1 equaled no sound w/ VIA 82xx onboard audio. Hours of googling, posting, and fiddling around with things OPs suggested were all in vain. The solution, months ago, was purchasing a new sound card.

I am a non-technical, non-geek girl, but I'm determined to get this issued solved once and for all WITHOUT buying another sound card.

Where do I begin? :cheesy:

Please help me.

Celeste

i think you have a loose wire . :cheesy: . it worked on md 10 before you disconnect the kvm right ? this adapter thingy might be your issue . have a plain jane set of speakers? do programs appear to plain sounds i.e. play a music cd or mp3 . it's not clear to me when or how long the issue has been an issue

see if playing a music cd works and then try and move the wire that plugs into the sound card

Hello Celeste. Welcome to a non-geek girl from a non-geek Great Grandfather x 3 and all here at the MUB.

Those tiny audio jacks can be a real pain. Try cleaning the jack plugs with metholated spirits or pure alcohol and the push the plug fully in and out about a dozen times. Even rotate it a few times. It does not seem that the card is faulty. Can you get hold of an alternative cable to try between your speaker system and the computer. This would be your next most likely cause.

Please let us know how you go so we can add if this does not solve the problem.

Cheers. John.

bvc,

lsmod output:

snd-seq-midi             6624  0

snd-seq-oss                     31296  0

snd-seq-midi-event           6080  2 snd-seq-midi,snd-seq-oss

snd-seq                           47440  5 snd-seq-midi,snd-seq-oss,snd-seq-midi-event

snd-pcm-oss                    49480  0

snd-mixer-oss                 17376  1 snd-pcm-oss

snd-ens1371                    18980  0

snd-rawmidi                      19300  2 snd-seq-midi,snd-ens1371

snd-seq-device           6344  4 snd-seq-midi,snd-seq-oss,snd-seq,snd-rawmidi

snd-pcm                           81800  2 snd-pcm-oss,snd-ens1371

snd-timer                          20356  2 snd-seq,snd-pcm

snd-page-alloc            7400  1 snd-pcm

snd-ac97-codec                  69392  1 snd-ens1371

gameport                   3328  1 snd-ens1371

snd                                   46052  10 snd-seq-oss,snd-seq,snd-pcm-oss,snd-mixer-oss,snd-ens1371,snd-rawmidi,snd-seq-device,

snd-pcm,snd-timer,snd-ac97-codec

soundcore                         7008  1 snd

lspci -v output:

00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 04)

Subsystem: Ensoniq Sound Blaster 16PCI 4.1ch

Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17

I/O ports at d000

Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

As for purchasing a new sound card, believe me, I didn't want to, but that's the only soultion to having sound after the countless hours of researching and following suggestions from others didn't solve the issue.

ddmcse,

Using XMMS, it appears to be working but there is no sound. Also, there's no sound on music cds, system notifications, or when “testing sound.”

This issue just happened (last couple of weeks) when I separated the computers.

AussieJohn,

Tried everything you suggested to no avail. I'm still without sound. :wall:

Thanks for your replys. What else can be done to solve this issue? :help:

Celeste

Try running alsaconf, and see if this helps? From a command prompt, type su and supply root password. Then type alsaconf, and go through the config for your soundcard.

On reboot of the system, your sound will be muted, you can use Kmix to unmute everything and set the volume levels.

Try the test button after this, does it work? Check sound in other apps, such as games and Amarok, etc.

Try running alsaconf, and see if this helps? From a command prompt, type su and supply root password. Then type alsaconf, and go through the config for your soundcard.

On reboot of the system, your sound will be muted, you can use Kmix to unmute everything and set the volume levels.

Try the test button after this, does it work? Check sound in other apps, such as games and Amarok, etc.

ianw1974

Already tried this several times. There is no sound. :wall:

modprobe.conf

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.6 ---

options snd device_mode=0666

alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371

alias sound-slot-0 snd-ens1371

# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

Open userdrake (root password needed) and check if your current user belongs to the "audio" group. If not, add him, logout completely and then log back in.

scarecrow

This was already done.

Thanks for your replies.

Sunsela

:woops:

Where do I begin?

This color-coded stuff can be bad sometimes. Green goes with green, right? Yeah, it does

UNLESS you get ANOTHER soundcard that is not onboard.

You guessed it. When hooking everything back up after separating the computers, I :cheesy:

plugged the audio cable into the onboard place instead of down below where the other

soundcard is.

Guess you all know how I'm feeling right about now. :woops:

:thanks:

Sunsela

P.S. There is no sound for System Notifications or when booting up and shutting down. That's the way it was before and it's not important. Hopefully, that will be solved when I upgrade to

LE2005

Edited by Sunsela

Good lord Celeste, you only made this mistake once so far.

I made it 3 times before I finally remembered and had it stuck in my mind so you have no need to feel bad or embarrassed. No ma´am.

Regarding System notification.

Open KDE Control Centre ------->Sound ---------->Sound System -------->General and put a tick in Enable the Sound System. Click on the Hardware tab and put a tick in Full Duplex. Click on Apply and close out.

Open a Konsole and type in kdesu konqueror and press Enter. Type your root password and press enter.

This will open konqueror in root mode and when it does just type / in the address bar which will give you access to the partition system.

Next, go into your /home then into your /account and click on View located at the top and select Show Hidden Files. Now click on the folder called /.kde then /share then /config i.e.

/Home/*****/.kde/share/config.

In there you will find a file called knotifyrc. Left click on it and it will open in Kwrite. You should see the following text :-

[Misc]

LastConfiguredApp=KDE System Notifications

[startProgress]

Arts Init=true

KNotify Init=true

Use Arts=true

If it has false in any of the lines then change the words to true

Save the changes, close out and relogin. This time you should have sounds.

Please let me know if this helps.

Cheers. John.