ATI or Nvidia?

hippocampe

I still have that good old ATI rage 128. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Radeon 9xxx or GeForce4. My question is: based on your experience on linux, which one is better in terms of linux compatibility? Is hardware acceleration for these supported under XFree? I've read that Nvidia offers linux drivers though people seem to have problems with them sometimes. What about ATI?

Thanks guys

Guest Kamikaze_Gerbil
Personnally I've always preferred ATI cards over Nvidia.  But when it comes to Linux, Nvidia have far better drivers at the moment.  If ATI improved their drivers, I'd go with them.

Even in Windows the ATI drivers tend to be flakey. (Of course that was my personal experience several years ago, I havent tried the latest offerings.) (BTW, the other IT guys I worked with called ATI " The driver of the week club" :D )

How long will NVidia support its older cards on Linux? Can I expect drivers will no longer work 2, 3 for more years from now?

_as far as i can tell_ nvidia hasn't stopped making drivers or any of it's video cards which came out in the past...oh...4 or so years? but i'm no psychic, so, you never know. there's always that chance that nvidia could go under in the next 3 years. not likely......but, "hard to see the future is." It is clouded by the dark side!

• 3 months later...
Guest Dr-Proton

Way to go guys. You ignored the "meat" of his questions and just denigrated into a hissy fit of "mines is better". Personally, I'd be embarrassed if I didn't even respond to what a post was asking.

I don't think that is entirely fair. His first question was "My question is: based on your experience on linux, which one is better in terms of linux compatibility? is totally off-base.

Me, I'm not answering the question simply because I'm happy with my Radeon VE and could care less about accelerated graphics so I can't comment on advanced cards.

An interesting observation, given the thread was first posted last January!! And since the original poster seems to have been satisfied with the responses, I would say the question was answered appropriately.

Please note that board protocol prohibits any name calling or personal attacks. I'm not saying that anyone has done this, I am only reminding those concerned with the standards of Mandrakeusers.org.

From the point of view of linux drivers, Nvidia has much better support since there is a choice of the XFree nv driver and the proprietary nvidia drivers. If one doesn't work, the other will. Although, in my view ATI is a more versatile chip, I have been unable to get the radeon driver in linux to work properly. I am obliged to use the vesa driver. I think there is a bug in the kernel agp routine and XFree 4.3. I also suspect that the Sis chipset in my MB could also be the cause.

Please follow the forums and get the card which reportedly works best with your hardware, since your mileage can vary depending of the combination of hardware (MB chipset + VGA driver + Monitor) that you have.

Sincerely

avadis