eek!

So i got a new pc yesterday, and after like 4 distro's failing to recognize my ethernet card and sound card, i thought i would just go back to ubuntu. So first i'll tell you exactly what's happening since the screenshot doesn't tell much. I'll just be happily browsing some sites, then all of a sudden the screen gets white marks over it, like someone put a piece of A4 paper over my screen, now if i move my mouse they kinda go away but come back again i managed to take a screenshot now it only shows the wallpaper messed up there, but firefox and everything else is white and clears a little when i move my mouse.

Some stuff i think might be useful in identifying the problem.

Monitor: Viewsonic 17 inch lcd or whatever.

Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 6600

Packages related to that installed.

Nvidia GLX

Nvidia Kernel Common

Nvidia Kernel Source

Nvidia Settings

All of the above ubuntu packages.

I don't have a clue what's wrong, it's most likely something i did to mess it up, but i can't think of anything. I dunno if this has anything to do with it, but i logged out and back in, ten mins later it started messing up like that. If i can't fix this, i'll need to find another distro or something, because i've heard the ubuntu nvidia packages are pretty messed up. Any help is appreciated.

(Also if you feel like offering an alternative distro with no messing around, go ahead)

screenshot2tb.th.jpg

EDIT: It's done it twice, since this post. I'm not in the mood for this, so i'm going for some other distro.

Edited by Lowe

I didn't know there was a linux distro with no messing around :cheesy:

of course, I guess that depends on your definition of messing around ;)

yes, ubuntu isn't all it's cracked up to be for a lot of people. even my old box doesn't like it and it has run 20+ distros w/o a burp. I'm gonna have to put something else on it to, because I'm not in the mood to mess with the basics that should 'just work' either :D

I think the two main things for me, in a linux distro is the display working correctly and my ethernet card being detected, the rest i can usually fix somehow or work around it. Now the problem is, picking another distro, with a decent package manager and is easily upgradeable (So i don't have to reinstall every 6 months) and really it comes down to other debian based distro's or gentoo (which i would never be able to install anyway) the latest debian sarge installer doesn't even detect my ethernet card, and since it was a netinstall i was pretty much f00ked, the other ones either cost money or are just bloated windows-look-alikes (Which i really hate). I'm not a big fan of RPM's either, and when it comes down to it, mandrake and fedora are the only RPM based distro's that have good package management tools. (That i know of)

One other thing that annoyed me about ubuntu is that alsa doesn't seem to work either, i mean using esd for listening to music? No thanks. I'm hoping the next release of ubuntu will be a lot better. I don't ask for much, all i really want and need in a distro is.

Good package selection, easy to install multimedia apps.

Good package manager.

Not bloated. A few apps and i'll do the rest myself.

Plays my anime

Plays my music.

Allows me to browse the web.

I'm actually pretty pissed, i can't find a distro that will just DO those without too much messing around. I used to always run back to windows when i had these problems, but that is no longer an option, there is no way in hell i'd ever go back now. I might be sounding like some stupid kid, who is just moaning, well maybe i am but it's not a very good feeling buying a new pc only to walk into a brick wall. Now all i need to do is find a distro, that does what i want it to do and recognize all my hardware which seems to be a problem with the few distro's i've tried on my new pc. I might try mandrake again, since it has fairly good hardware detection or fedora or i just don't know.

I'm sorry for this post, i'm angry, smell and it's 6am. I'm sure you understand. :unsure:

Well ubuntu has plenty of multimedia app that install via synaptic.

Alsa works fine here (hoary), ...I just disable esd.

I've had this install of ubuntu since warty-beta....

Before I do a dist-upgrade I always make sure there are no new kernels and nvidia pkgs included. This is a debian thing, not just ubuntu. I let others be the test rats before I install them.

For the first time in 2 years I got a dvd to play in debian (ubuntu)....and it was jerky :rolleyes:

That's my biggest complaint. I use the same mirrors as everyone else, but dvd's just do not want to play on a deb for me, so I use mandrake for that first, or powerdvd on win second.

What about mepis? I've never tried it, but I've thought about it. I haven't because I've a gnomer and haven't heard what gnome is like on mepis.

Well i was too lazy to download hoary and just used my warty cd's then upgraded to hoary, so i guess that's what messed it up? I'll try kannotix and mepis, even though i hate KDE, it should be simple enough to install gnome. If that doesn't work out to well, i might just download hoary and see if it works better with a fresh install.

could be...but if you upgraded, then you upgraded...

there were a lot of issues with nvidia between the 2 releases, and even after hoary with the flash plugin. I'd think that is resolved by now though but maybe not.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php...efox#post192170

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php...ghlight=firefox

Edited by bvc

"root@ubuntu:/home/lowe # nvidia-glx-config enable

A backup of xorg.conf has been stored as:

/var/backups/xorg.conf.2005-06-04-16:53:54.

If the new configuration will not work you will be able to

revert the changes simply using this command:

cp /var/backups/xorg/xorg.conf.2005-06-04-16:53:54 /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Warning: your X configuration has been succesfully changed.

In order to take full advantage of the changes, X needs to

be restarted."

Any idea what that does? I'm going to reboot and see if it stops doing it now.

bvc, as far as the dvd problem, did you check dma on the dvd drive with hdparm. I would imagine you have, but that is the only thing that has ever caused my dvd's to mess up like that.

lowe, not sure about your video and either net problems are with debian(s) but you can always try fc4 when it comes out on the 13ish of this month or grab the last fc4t3 and give it a spin. No mp3/dvd wont work by default but it takes like 5 minutes to get it to work.

bvc, as far as the dvd problem, did you check dma on the dvd drive with hdparm.  I would imagine you have, but that is the only thing that has ever caused my dvd's to mess up like that.

uh....nopers :unsure:

what ancient os wouldn't do, or be able to do that these days?

guess?

debian, ubuntu

nope, wasn't set :wall:

when I turned on dma totem took forever to start and vlc, the first and only player that has played a dvd, wouldn't.

bah....I'll use mandriva :D

thx!

what ancient os wouldn't do, or be able to do that these days?

guess?

debian, ubuntu

nope, wasn't set :wall:

when I turned on dma totem took forever to start and vlc, the first and only player that has played a dvd, wouldn't.

Yeah, that is odd that it's not on by default in all distro's by now. Oh well, it was worth a try.

Well, i got really pissed off and did a complete wipe last night reinstalling windows, which was a VERY bad idea, lol it took me 5 hours to find drivers for my motherboard, not fun at all, but i managed to get it working ok. I know i said i wouldn't install windows, but i only made it a 10GB partiton for playing warcraft 3 and worms 3d. Today i will be installing the new stable debian sarge, hopefully will be released today as planned. 190GB for linux and 10GB for windows, 10GB should be enough for playing some games. I will do everything else on linux. Sounds like a good setup to me. :cheesy:

If the new debian treats me badly, i'll wait for the fedora 4.