Nothing ever works like it's supposed to for me...

icedragn

I am trying to install Java for firefox 1.0.4 and it WONT work, also im trying to install the nvidia drivers for my FX5700 and they WONT work either, GRR!! Im trying to install the kernel-source but it keeps saying it depends on libncurses5... and i installed it, the exact version too but keeps saying it needs it... also why does the kernel-source depend on itself =/

I'm running Mandriva (mandrake 10.2) LE 2005, any help greatly appreciated!!!

As for the java, i have followed the instructions to a T! and its a no go, java wont work =/

NVIDIA: dependency problems. Read the faqs for urpmi. Add main, contrig and the plfs as repositories and try again.

Java: what have you done till now? If you want you can install java with urpmi (mcnl has it) urpmi.addmedia mcnl http://www.mandrakeclub.nl/sources/official/10.2/i586 with hdlist.cz

k well i fixed it, i didnt know i had the kernel sources on my installation DVD, now should i go to the software forum for java?

NVIDIA: dependency problems. Read the faqs for urpmi. Add main, contrig and the plfs as repositories and try again.

Java: what have you done till now? If you want you can install java with urpmi (mcnl has it) urpmi.addmedia mcnl http://www.mandrakeclub.nl/sources/official/10.2/i586 with hdlist.cz

Java: installed the rpm from www.java.com then proceeded to copy the plugin

# su

# pwd

# cd /

# cd usr/lib/firefox/plugins

# ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

then i restart firefox and still nothing :(

ok so the drivers run very crappily, im only getting ~3500 fps in glxgears and well i dl'd the UT2K4 demo and its very glitchy, anyone reccomend how i can speed things up? my system is more than powerful enough, im running:

Athlon 2500+

1gig DDR

GeForce FX5700 256mb

Don't use Mandy's nvidia driver... it screws things here as well.

But first, try re-installing it with X not running... this is the only correct way to install nvidia's display driver.

Try the native nvidia one, which needs just a slight /etc/X11/xorg.conf editing and works very well.

Edited by scarecrow

Don't use Mandy's nvidia driver... it screws things here as well.

But first, try re-installing it with X not running... this is the only correct way to install nvidia's display driver.

Try the native nvidia one, which needs just a slight /etc/X11/xorg.conf editing and works very well.

native driver? just the general FX driver? hmm, it doesnt work good for me? i get only like 300fps in glxgears using it, now i get 33-3800 fps in glxgears but thats still not close to enough.

bump, ok mouse scroll doesnt entirely not work, but instead of scrolling the page it will scroll thru page history back and forth, also it still isnt booting into init 5 (kde) on its own which isnt a huge deal, but little things tend to bother me and ESPECIALLY the mouse thing, havent had to manually scroll since Win95/98 days *shutters*...