Improving system response

apbsa

I found a link to this Linux Journal article on the PCLinux web site, and it has some really effective tips on how to improve your system performance. The improvement in OpenOffice startup speed is amazing, it starts in about 3 seconds now. Firefox and Thunderbird also seem more responsive.

The article is at: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8308

The article is part one of a series, so it should be interesting to read the next installments to see what other ideas the writer has.

hmmm... increasing the ram for open office has always been the first thing that i did on my systems. so this is nothing new. but the swapiness thing is interesting. although it should speed up things, apparently it didn't do anything on my box. i have the impression that my box is even faster with swapiness 60 instead of 10 or 20... :unsure:

• 3 months later...
hmmm... increasing the ram for open office has always been the first thing that i did on my systems. so this is nothing new. but the swapiness thing is interesting. although it should speed up things, apparently it didn't do anything on my box. i have the impression that my box is even faster with swapiness 60 instead of 10 or 20... :unsure:

Swappiness is a warm distro....