mandriva linux 10.2 is very slowwww...

fahd

The is the second time I realised this syndrome in mandrivalinux 10.1 and 10.2. When I inserted the dvd disk and began installing mdk it went very slowly after any step. In brief the installation was very desperate I have ever seen such thing yet. After the slow-install I gave the command mcc (Mandrake Control Center), it took about 5 minutes to be set up as well. I tried to enable and disable API, ACPI but no resault. I hope somebody there will give me an advice to solve this problem. All of us like to stay with mandriva linux forever, but Mandriva should make a good stuff thar runs on any pc. Thanks a lot.

Fahd

My pc is 3.2 GHz PIV, with 512 MB ram and intel 875 chip set. I feel this is something of hardware-detect related bug. It seems that the kernel tries to autodetect every thing in my computer, this causes the system to take a long time to respond. Thanks.

open the mcc and go to the system → services section. take a look at the services that are running on your system. deactivate those that you do not need (e.g. server related stuff or harddrake). furthermore we need some more info on your basic computer layout. what partitions do you have and which fileformat are they, what kind of hdd are you using?

I have tow hard disks. WinXP is installed on the sata, Mandrivalinux 10.2 on pata hard disk. The file system is ext3. The parallel ata hard disk is IBM, the sata one is maxtor. Again I think the system is trying to identify some hardware devices (sata hard disk, usb devices, Firewire 1394 devices, parallel devices, etc.). In fine I installed SuSE linux 9.3 on the same computer and I found not such slow-syndrome.m Of course I deleted SuSE and installed Mandrivalinux 10.2 which works fine except this bug. Thanks a lot.

Fahd

Again I think the system is trying to identify some hardware devices (sata hard disk, usb devices, Firewire 1394 devices, parallel devices, etc.)
try unmounting the windows sata drive temporarily and disable harddrake. maybe this speeds your system up. if not, i am not sure which of your hardware might cause the problem.

by the way, do you have a swap partition? if not, this could be the reason. but if nothing works, i would simply try a reinstall. sometimes an installation is somehow buggy the first time and okay the next time. i experienced this with yoper that the system was damn slow and after a reinstall, everything was running lightning fast again. :unsure: