Half Life

phunni

Is it possible to run Half Life natively? Like with Quake etc - you can download files in order to get it to work on Linux as long as you have the appropriate windows CD. Is there anything like this for Half Life?

My only alternatives are to play this game on my windows PC or through winex - I hate both ideas :(

You don't need WineX just to play Half-Life. Wine has been playing it just fine for years.

I wouldn't use it though. I'd move on and choose a new game. Something that doesn't suck. ;) j/k

Seriously though, I didn't like HL. I like UT, Quake 3 Arena, and RTCW much better.

With all the mods out there for UT and Q3, you should be able to find something like CS, if that's what you're after.

Hope this isn't a stupid question, but here goes...

I've looked on the internet for CS linux and I found some files that look like they are basically a port of CS to Linux. The thing that confuses me is that, as far as I can tell, CS is for Half Life isn't it? So if there is a port (or the files to get it running on Linux) for CS, the n surely there is one for Half Life?

You don't need WineX just to play Half-Life. Wine has been playing it just fine for years.

Depsite something inside me telling me I shouldn't - I tried to install Half-Life using wine - didn't get past the initialising installer screen :(

Guess I'll just have to play this on windows :(

I don't see why anyone would like BF1942 more than RTCW.

For one thing, I've been using Linux only since before BF came out, so I didn't buy the game. I don't plan to buy the game unless it gets ported, and even then I will still think twice about it.

I tried it once, and the game is just not that good, especially when compared to RTCW's multiplayer.

If I had neither game, and had to choose one, I'd be buying RTCW for two reasons: 1) it's a native port; 2) It is a better game, and in fact, is basically two games in one, since the sp and mp games were developed separately and have a different feel to them.

I have made a few attempts to get Half Life to run under WineX (whihc failed by the way - even with help from 2 How-Tos) and then my guilt overcame me. WineX should be boycotted - and I have removed all trace of it and wine from my computer.

I have paid money for this game - and will therefore play it under windows - but in future I would far rather play with games that have been natively ported to Linux. Next bit of spare cash I have will go towards RTCW!

I am not sure whether or not the boycott winex image is DOlson's or not - but I figured no-one would mind me using it as I nail my colours to the mast - so to speak :wink:

I have made a few attempts to get Half Life to run under WineX (whihc failed by the way - even with help from 2 How-Tos)  and then my guilt overcame me.  WineX should be boycotted - and I have removed all trace of it and wine from my computer.

I have paid money for this game - and will therefore play it under windows - but in future I would far rather play with games that have been natively ported to Linux.  Next bit of spare cash I have will go towards RTCW!

I am not sure whether or not the boycott winex image is DOlson's or not - but I figured no-one would mind me using it as I nail my colours to the mast - so to speak  :wink:

You'll most likely have a better eXPerience in Windows anyhow.

RTCW is a *great* game. If you go on IRC sometime, we could play some MP games online together. :)

BTW, yeah, I made that logo. I was thinking that your posts were mine, and I was like "What? I never wrote that!" then I saw your name... Then I thought, "cool!" heh.

You can use it, anyone can. Timedoctor.org uses it as well, with my permission. :) It is a cool site.

Hope you go on IRC sometime.

I just got a new PSone game, gonna go play it now.

I have made a few attempts to get Half Life to run under WineX (whihc failed by the way - even with help from 2 How-Tos)  and then my guilt overcame me.  WineX should be boycotted - and I have removed all trace of it and wine from my computer.

I have paid money for this game - and will therefore play it under windows - but in future I would far rather play with games that have been natively ported to Linux.  Next bit of spare cash I have will go towards RTCW!

I am not sure whether or not the boycott winex image is DOlson's or not - but I figured no-one would mind me using it as I nail my colours to the mast - so to speak  :wink:

You'll most likely have a better eXPerience in Windows anyhow.

RTCW is a *great* game. If you go on IRC sometime, we could play some MP games online together. :)

As soon as I get it (could be a little while) I'll be up for some online gaming!