No printer

satelliteuser083

I re-installed mkd 10.1 (official) and now the printer doesn't output anything. It works under Win 2000 Pro (dual boot), so its not a hardware problem, and the scanner section works under mkd. I've uninstalled cups, deleted the printer driver and added it again, but no luck. The 'add printer' procedure appears to run correctly, up to the point where I try to print the test page, then NOTHING. Looks like I've forgotten to install something else, but can't remember what. The printer did work prior to the re-installation. Any hints?

Does mandrakelinux detect your printer while your are setting it up ?

Verify if the service Harddrake is running. You can see this iin the System section of the Mandrake Control Center.

You can also activate the logs to consult them and see what is going on when you try to set up your printer. They are in the same System section.

I recommend you then to shutdown your linux box and to turn off your printer. To start your linux box and your printer and to set up the printer by 'add printer'.

Bye

Also, setting up the scanner part through the MCC, will prevent the printer part from functioning correctly. You should be able to sue the mcc, but you may find that the following things help. Just try the one that sound rpomissing to you, and see what happens, most are discussed on this board elsewhere(by me) You see I have a psc 1210, which is the same printer minus the front usb port and the photo tray.

1. Try with the mcc, by removing the scanner from scanner drake if you personaly set it up there, then removing the printer, and then reisntall the printer, telling mandrake it's a multifunction device when it asks.

2. Screw the mcc. Try setting it up manualy.

3. Update your kernel, as the first kernel mandrake releases with any version seems to consistantly break psc printer, wacom tablets and some USB mice, which are all fixed in the second kernel of each rellease. Don't ask why, I don't know, it's a mystery. Anyway, then repeat 1 or 2 or both.

4. Go to linux-printing.org There follow the links to the hpoj AND hpijs drivers. download the latest versions of both, manualy compile and install, then man ualy configure. This is a pain the first time oyu do it, but IMO, well worth the effort, as mandriva never includes all the printer files, and couldn't possible have the very latest versions of every driver every time no matter how hard they tried. It's just not reasonable to expect.

5. Search for post concerning the 1210 by me. I went through hell to get mine working back in the 9.0 days, and I've had various problems since. Now the PSC's are very well supported, and offer, IMNSHO one of the best cost/value ratios available in a home multi.