which one should I go for?

Guest kn_san540

Guest kn_san540

I am one among you who has fed by using Windows operating system

it was torrid time........My system gave some sort of problem like crashing,

auto-boot, hanging, virusus. I leart something by seeing and reading about linux

So I wanted to install Linux into my system

My System Configuration is

Intel Celeron 850 Mhz with in built sound and graphics

20 GB hard disk

128 MB Ram

52X CD-ROM

1.44 Floppy

A 56 kpbs Motorola Modem

But the problem is I want to keep Win xp as well as Linux both on my system, B'coz

some applications do need winxp

I have 4.5 GB free space..can I install Linux on to this partion

will Mandrake Linux 10.1 will do for me

or

Any other if anyone of you recommened.I learnt this one is easy to install

Actually my hard disk is partioned into 4 parts each of 4.5 - 5 GB Space

C:\ drive has Winxp

D:\ [EMPTY]

E:\ backup files and imoprtant projects

F:\ MP3 Songs

I want to install in D:\..drive of 4.5 Gb empty space and have dual boot option at the

Startup

Please also tell me the care I should take care while formating this D:\ drive and installing

i do not have any idea with LINUX

kn.sandeep@gmail.com

You can install Mandrake on such a system. No problem. It will only run a bit slow.

Remeber that Linux doesn't use drive/partition letters like C or D but instead uses hd(a)(1) (hda is the primary harddrive on the primary ide channel and 1 is the first partition on that drive. Example hdb2 is a second harddrive on the first ide channel. Cdrom players usually on the second ide channel would be hdc etcetc.)

During the install Mandrake will ask where to install. Choose use existing partition and then make sure to install on D that Mandrake will show as hdXX (where x depends on your configuration). Let Mandrake format and partition it. It will make a /swap and a / (root) and /home (user data).

That should be it. Good luck.

You can install Mandrake on such a system. No problem. It will only run a bit slow.
i disagree here. it will run fast enough on your box. i ran mandrake on slower systems and the results were 100% acceptable on a WORK box (not a "playstation"). :)

i think it'll run just fine. if you run kde or gnome, it maybe a little slow, but not horrendous.

but if you're a fine time installer, it might be wise to back everything up. you can never be too cautious. alot of us probably learned by just jumping in. a little advice probably would've saved us a ton of annoyances.

I'm running Mandrake 10.1 and 2005 on my system which is an old 533 MHz PIII. I have 512MB of ram, which helps a lot. I also have a system with a 700 MHz Athlon and 256MB that also runs pretty well. Ram will be your only issue, processor speed is not going to bother you. Get more ram if you can or use a lighter window manager. KDE and Gnome are hogs! Evolution is another hog.