Cannot log into root

photoworks

i have a problem

i tried to uninstall some packages and i guess i must have uninstalled some wrong rpms since that now, when i boot, i can only log into a normal user.

i cannot login into root since i don't have the option anymore.

funny thing is when i am in my normal user and i want to get into mandrake control center, i can enter the root password and it will allow me inside mandrake control center.

any idea on how to restore the option to log to root session ?

:wall:

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

You don't want to. Really. You should never, ever login to a graphical desktop as root. Login as a user and use su any time you need to be root. Logging in as root is bad for security and it's also very dangerous in terms of the impact a crashing program or a simple mistake can make.

You don't want to. Really. You should never, ever login to a graphical desktop as root. Login as a user and use su any time you need to be root. Logging in as root is bad for security and it's also very dangerous in terms of the impact a crashing program or a simple mistake can make.

Well i would like to have toe option anyway. Is it possible to get it back ?

I used this sessions only in very exceptional cases, but i still need it.

Is there a package i need to reinstall in order to access to it.

Edited by photoworks

I agree with Adamw. Root is a profile for administration tasks only. There is not reason to login as root to do work as a standard user (using konqueror, openoffice...). It is extremily dangerous to do it. For exemple, Imagine surfing on internet and that a program is installled in a sensible place where only root has acces ? In this way your box becomes vulnerable. You open all the gates to all potential risks.

Even on Win XP I recommend highly to use only the profile Administrator for administration matters and to use a profile as limited user for the rest.

That's the reason, I guess, why a standard user is proposed to be created when mandrakelinux is installed and not to allow to login as root initially. This is one of the reasons why I consider Mandrakelinux more secure than Win XP.

Ciao.

i have a problem

i tried to uninstall some packages and  i guess i must have uninstalled some wrong rpms since that now, when i boot, i can only log into a normal user.

i cannot login into root since i don't have the option anymore.

funny thing is when i am in my normal user and i want to get into mandrake control center, i can enter the root password and it will allow me inside mandrake control center.

any idea on how to restore the option to log to root session ?

:wall:

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

use commands with kdesu. For example

push alt+f2 and run

kdesu konqueror

You can also open a terminal (with the terminal program). Then execute the command su (after doing ENTER it will demand the password of root). After you execute the command kde konqueror.

I recommend you this way because you will know when you have closed your konqueror session with your root profile. It comes to the terminal session when you close the konqueror session.

Bye

Guest anon

If you really insist on logging in to KDE as root, then do the following:

Menu>>>>>System>>>>>Configuration>>>>>Configure your desktop>>>>>>>System>>>>>>login manager. Click on the "Administration mode" tab at the bottom of the panel and enter root password, then select the "Users" tab at the top. Put a tick in the root box, save and exit.

Done.

If you just want to be able to view/edit root files using Konqueror, then run the command:

kdesu

If you really insist on logging in to KDE as root, then do the following:

Menu>>>>>System>>>>>Configuration>>>>>Configure your desktop>>>>>>>System>>>>>>login manager. Click on the "Administration mode" tab at the bottom of the panel and enter root password, then select the "Users" tab at the top. Put a tick in the root box, save and exit.

Done.

If you just want to be able to view/edit root files using Konqueror, then run the command:

kdesu

:headbang:

you beat me to it :juggle: