ssh and browser problems

Trio3b

2 PCs both running MDK 10.0 connected via cat 5 crossover with 1 PC connected to internet via ext serial dialup modem. At this point I am NOT trying to get internet sharing working.

I have all the networking "bibles" in PDF format on my desktop including NFS and Samba.

I posted on several forums about 1 month ago that I just wanted to "see" the files on the other PC. I indicated that I would learn all the intricate stuff later, but for now, just something simple. I had been able to ping each PC. Well...........received bargeloads of information on CL stuff.....no luck, until someone said simply to type sftp://192.168.0.1 into Konqueror or terminal. Works, (am able to see konqueror files both ways), but here's problem.......

After doing so, I close konqueror (I'm done with "sharing files) then connect to net with Kppp, but my browsers don't work. My resolv.conf file gets messed with and have to do this to fix it:

gedit resolv.conf and delete any entries (I think sftp adds the other PC's address to the file)

remove the eth0 connection

then browsers are OK. Any ideas what is going on and how to fix?

PS: need to get a small network up and running

1. Does Mandrake have any decent documentation for using any of its GUI networking tools? I have poked around NFS and Samba but have no idea how to "invoke" them like I did the sftp

2. Does any one know if the MCC GUI tools work?

3. I guess the sftp thing is called ssh? Is NFS or Samba better?

4. What would best serve a small office network?

thanks for any help

If you're using ext3 (or even ext2) as your fs you can lock your /etc/resolv.conf to prevent it being overwritten.

Ensure the details are correct then

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

if you later need to edit the file

chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf

other Q's

1. I'm not sure about any documenatation for the MCC stuff, generally you just get a subset of options that are available in the conf files.

2. They work, but do not always cover every possible situation.

3. sftp like the name implies is secureFTP, NFS and samba usually share filesystems over a network, different beasts really. sftp is part of ssh (ssh allows for remote logins etc).

4. Depends on what you want to do and what OS machines are running. If you've got lots of windows boxen already setup it's probably best to use samba.

2 PCs both running MDK 10.0 connected via cat 5 crossover with 1 PC connected to internet via ext serial dialup modem. At this point I am NOT trying to get internet sharing working.

I have all the networking "bibles" in PDF format on my desktop including NFS and Samba.

I posted on several forums about 1 month ago that I just wanted to "see" the files on the other PC. I indicated that I would learn all the intricate stuff later, but for now, just something simple. I had been able to ping each PC. Well...........received bargeloads of information on CL stuff.....no luck, until someone said simply to type sftp://192.168.0.1 into Konqueror or terminal. Works, (am able to see konqueror files both ways), but here's problem.......

After doing so, I close konqueror (I'm done with "sharing files) then connect to net with Kppp, but my browsers don't work. My resolv.conf file gets messed with and have to do this  to fix it:

gedit resolv.conf and delete any entries (I think sftp adds the other PC's address to the file)

remove the eth0 connection

then browsers are OK. Any ideas what is going on and how to fix?

i dont have an idea how come that sftp touch the resolv.conf file, but maybe you should try to put permanently in your kppp configuration the dns of your isp, hope that works

PS: need to get a small network up and running

1.  Does Mandrake have any decent documentation for using any of its GUI networking tools? I have poked around NFS and Samba but have no idea how to "invoke" them like I did the sftp

well, just recently, mandrake published the mdk10.1 manual, maybe you try to visit that one, on mandriva website

2. Does any one know if the MCC GUI tools work?

have'nt tried the mcc gui tolls yet on configuring samba or nfs, also, personally, have'nt tried yet nfs but i think those tolls will surely work, they would'nt include it in their distro anyway if those were useless

3. I guess the sftp thing is called ssh? Is NFS or Samba better?

your right, sftp is the secured version of ftp using ssh server, have'nt tried nfs though, but as per linux docs info, nfs is designed to share files between linux or unix system on your network, and samba should be used when mixing windows and linux in your network, those that your windows needed to access shares on linux box and and your linux to windows, but, that does not mean that you cant use samba if you have linux only in your network, they can still shares files thru network using samba

-- advantages and dis-advantages, cant explain, i only used samba, maybe someone here tried nfs

4. What would best serve a small office network?

thanks for any help

well, if you have mixed os, win and lin, try samba, if only linux, then try nfs, or maybe use sftp only, if you or someone can correct your first problem

Here is resolv.conf BEFORE going online without LAN connection on PC1 to PC2 being configured in MCC:

[name@192 etc]$ cat resolv.conf

here it is AFTER going online:

nameserver 209.244.0.3 # ppp temp entry

nameserver 209.244.0.4 # ppp temp entry

nameserver 209.244.0.3 #kppp temp entry

nameserver 209.244.0.4 #kppp temp entry

OK.....here's resolv.conf after setting up new LAN connection on PC1 in MCC:

[mark@192 etc]$ cat resolv.conf

search 168.0.1

nameserver 192.168.0.2

here's after going on line:

[mark@192 etc]$ cat resolv.conf

search 168.0.1

nameserver 192.168.0.2

# ppp temp entry

nameserver 209.244.0.3 # ppp temp entry

nameserver 209.244.0.4 # ppp temp entry

nameserver 209.244.0.3 #kppp temp entry

nameserver 209.244.0.4 #kppp temp entry

and now mozilla doesn't work.

I don't enter 168.0.1 in the MCC LAN setup wizard. I enter 192.168.0.1 for PC1.

PC1 is hooked to PC2 w/crossover and configured and addressed as 192.168.0.1in MCC new LAN connection, and also hooked to internet via serial ext. modem configured thru Kppp. I did not setup the modem thru MCC new connection wizard.

PC2 is hooked to PC1 via LAN setup thru MCC new LAN connection and addressed as 192.168.0.2.

Both PCs running MDK 10.0

I must be entering the wrong info into the wizard. I don't know what to enter in DCHP, DNS1,2,3, Zeroconf host, hostname, so I leave them blank. Maybe that's the problem.

Here is route command after deleting LAN connection on PC1. I don't want to setup LAN on PC1 again until I have access to another PC because I won't be able to post.

[root@192 user]# route

Kernel IP routing table

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface

nas1.CITY1.Le * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0

127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo

default nas1.CITY1.Le 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 ppp0

I would like to learn what to enter into the MCC wizards

Any help appreciated......thanks