k3b multisession howto [solved]

aioshin

k, i want to continue to write into a cd using k3b that already have a data via Nero, its like to continue a session using k3b created by nero, when I tried that, I just cant, it seems like I cant open the original session, or is it possible to do that? can k3b be able to continue a session created by other burning software in M$? a :help: is very much appreciated

TIA

Edited by aioshin

In K3B, there is an option, 'Continue Multisession', in one of the tabs when you press burn (I think). I tried it once, but I also got an error (forgot the exact error message), and a dialog box displayed if I want to 'force' it. Since the cd wasn't mine, I didn't try it.

Edited by EwanKho

I don't know about using Nero then k3b. But I experienced burning multisession CD with k3b, and then continue with Nero. No problem at all.

the case is that I have a lot of cdr here that only contains 10mb of data which was started written in M$ by whatever burner, I can add anyfile on it using nero, or sony burning software,... actually, i really dont know what software did they use on burning those disk, well, I have said it, switch to burn

btw, nerolinux is avaible to to those who purchase nero 6 (not oem), to those who have tried it, did it solved the problem presented here?

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys :P

i just want to correct this, I found out that nero or whatever windows burning software should have no problem on the continue session feature of K3B, I just dont know why the heck it was happen to these sets of CDs here.. a lot of it does not work when trying to continue session on K3b ( here's the error "Could Not determine size of resulting image file"), but it does fine on those burning software on windows (nero and sony). Just yesterday, I found out that there are other sets of cd that only contains 30mb of data, so I tried to continue a session on it using K3b and it does work. I also tried a blank CD, put some data on it using Nero then continue session on k3b and it also works, so maybe the real problem here was those Cd I have here :wall: which I can only add files or continue session on Windows, but generally, k3b continue_multisession feature really works on those windows base burning software.

:P

Edited by aioshin

Well, I don't know if it's worse than K3B. But I won't be trying it, since K3B does everything I expect from a burning-tool. And WITHOUT all the graphical nonsense. And I don't expect Nero to give me any more or better features than K3B does.

But for this sort of things, it might be worth a try.

• 1 month later...

Kill MAGICDEV with KDE System Guardian. That's all, or is for my box. You can re-enable it later from command-line typing "magicdev".

I had to download and run NeroLinux to have understandable advice on how this fancy process blocks burners, and in fact, as soon as I ran K3B without MD, my multisession problem disappeared.

Nero, well, it never saw the burner in the choosable recorder list, even after killing MD, but ¡thanks for the advice! Maybe it'll now be the "DMA disabled" thing it complains about, but K3B can live perfectly with that, so I stick to K3B.

Now I'll do some try-and-fail so K3B stops duplicating files (8.3 names in new session) and shortening names, despite my saved preferences.

So, you the fine and wonderful KDE people, please add an advise under "continue multisession" that tells us, K3B users, to do so, or point us to a K3B patch or routine that overpasses magicdev.

Edited by tlahtopil