need advice on cdRW

aioshin

All current CD and DVD burners, but a few are mmc-3 compatible and should have no worries with cdrecord/cdrdao.

Can you really STILL find a CD-writer at the stores? If you can, buy a Lite-On.

For a few pennies more you can buy a NEC ND-3500 or 3520 DVD writer.

Avoid Plextor drives, they are great quality and having special extras (at an extra price!), but the extras make them not fully MMC-3 compatible and as such a bit troublesome for non-windows environments.

I think it will also depend on your mobo/bios system.

For example, not so many moons ago I bought two new Philps CDRW's (PCRW5232).

Installed them into 2 different boxes - 1 works and one doesn't - and they have both run the same OS (mdk10 and later 10.1); swapped the units around to make sure it wasn't a faulty cdrw and it ended with eaxctly the same result: My partners linuxbox detects the new cdrw's ok - her mobo had a flash upgrade lat year (before that it wouldn't even install 9.2). Mine, well I'm running a PIII board in which the bios 'apparently' can't be upgraded - so I can't get the new kit to work. The mobo I think is about 6 - 7 yrs old. Time for a new one soon I think.

If its fairly new mobo or bios upgradeable, you shouldn't have too many worries - if its older, beware.

Edited by ChrisM

Avoid Plextor drives, they are great quality and having special extras (at an extra price!), but the extras make them not fully MMC-3 compatible and as such a bit troublesome for non-windows environments.

i will be the voice that contradict that. i own a plextor cd-rw drive and have been using it since mdk 9.0 (or was it 9.1? i cant remember for sure). my system is an aging (hah!) duron 800. both hardware are still kicking and i cant see myself replacing them anytime soon. :cheesy:

ciao!

You can contradict whatever you like, and myself having a Plextor Premium CDRW as well as a 516 DVD burner. They do NOT work properly with cdrecord, period.

Older Plextor drives (the ones without the "premium" features, including yours, probably) don't have issues, but they aren't available anymore! In the past I had a Plextor 121032S SCSI burner, and Ultraplex 40 SCSI CD-ROM and a Plexwriter 241040 IDE burner, and all of them worked fine on Linux- but this definitely does NOT apply for the current "Premium" series.