mozilla update

wilco1973

Hi all,

i have mandrake 10.1 installed with all updates. i noticed that there never was a mozilla update and i wanted to try 1.7.6 because 1.7.2 gave trouble with sites where you can do payments and internet banking.

so i downloaded the 1.7.6 RPM from penquin libaration front. (great site) though the installation was succesfull i could not load a single page with it. so i uninstalled it and installed back to 1.7.2 RPM from the same site

everything is now back, WTF i want the newest version :angry:

the latest working version of Mozilla I have urpmi'ed is the 1.7.3 from PLF.

This version causes me any probleme than I can recommand it to you.

But for the 1.7.6 ... I've no idea :( (without compiling & configuring all the stuffs by yourself ...)

have you considered whitching to mozilla-firefox? First time you run it, it will import all your links and favorites and even plugins from regular mozilla, on netscape or opera if you ahve them isntalled, and when If irst opened it up, I thought I was dreaming. way smoother than mozilla, and way more features. I promptly installed the iwndows version on my wife's laptop and showed her around.

i tried again to upgrade to mozilla 1.7.6 when i install the RPM it asks if i want to install it but it wont install

i tried to install the mozilla 1.7.3-1 version (also RPM) same thing as above

if i check my version it still says 1.7.2

:wall::wall::wall:

also i tried to install firefox the installation looks ok. but i cant start it :angry:

i tried make an launcher and open /usr/bin/firefox but nothing happens

i tried to run an application and typed firefox nothing happens..

:help::help::help::furious3::furious3::furious3:

That's because the Firefox executable is actually /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox. Try that.

As far as I know, there is no Mandrake rpm of the latest version of Firefox (1.0.2) other than the one in the just-released-to-Club-members-only Mandriva Limted Edition. For now, the easiest way I know to get a Firefox 1.0.2 rpm is go to RPMfind-Speakeasy at:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/

Download and save the RPM:

firefox-1.0.2-3.i386.rpm (which is actually for Fedora Core3).

Then cd to where you saved it and uprmi it in. I usually caution against using non-MDK rpms, but this installed with no problems on my 10.1 box. I didn't even bother to uninstall my old version first, but since you've apparently been fooling around with trying to install by methods other than with urpmi, it might be best if you did.

Firefox works fine on all the online banking/bill-paying sites I use (a LOT of 'em). A better browser than 'regular' Mozilla.

Edited by Crashdamage

Firefox 1.0.2 comes at the main repo of 2005LE, and not at the club repos.

This binary may or may not work with 10.1, but I cannot see why the ftp.mozilla.org binary shouldn't. Also getting the source rpm(s) from official/2005/SRPMS/main/ and doing the custom "rpm --rebuild mozilla*.src.rpm" should work.

Edited by scarecrow

That's because the Firefox executable is actually /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox. Try that.

As far as I know, there is no Mandrake rpm of the latest version of Firefox (1.0.2) other than the one in the just-released-to-Club-members-only Mandriva Limted Edition. For now, the easiest way I know to get a Firefox 1.0.2 rpm is go to RPMfind-Speakeasy at:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/

Download and save the RPM:

firefox-1.0.2-3.i386.rpm (which is actually for Fedora Core3).

yes there is... look here GREAT site

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/11/vendor/1556

Firefox 1.0.2 comes at the main repo of 2005LE, and not at the club repos.

This binary may or may not work with 10.1, but I cannot see why the ftp.mozilla.org binary shouldn't. Also getting the source rpm(s) from official/2005/SRPMS/main/ and doing the custom "rpm --rebuild mozilla*.src.rpm" should work.

you lost me :unsure:

you lost me  :unsure:

rpm --rebuild is part of "Linux for Dummies" lesson number three, but anyway, there are ready 1.0.2 RPM's for MDK 10.1...

http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.1/RPMS/

or

http://norlug.org/?op=rpms&rpm_func=rpm_index&cat=5

What do you mean "you cannot find moziilla- firefox anywhere"?

Open a bash terminal and type in "locate mozilla-firefox"

You will likely get plenty of hits...

Edited by scarecrow