Ndiswrapper install question

Guest txwylde

Guest txwylde

I downloaded the lastest ndiswrapper1-1 and walked through the install. When it got to building the install, it failed. I noticed there was not any kernel sources so I urpmi kernel-source. It built the kernel sources but i noticed the install still can not find the kernel source in my /lib/modules/build. When I urpmi the kernel source it did not give me a /build folder. I am running Kernel 2.6.3-7mdk. Any suggestions?

Secondly, once I get the *.inf file and the *.sys file off the install CD for the drivers. Where do they need to be put in order for ndiswrapper to install? Can i place them in the ndiswrapper folder or do they need to go into /ndiswrapper/driver?

Thanks!

Bill

:help:

Guest txwylde

The problem is when I get to the part where I make install. It gives me an error that it can not file the build directory.

I have done this part:

ln -s /usr/src/linux-<kernel-version> /lib/modules/VERSION/build

When I go into that subdirectory there is nothing in that folder. I did reinstall the kernel-source and it says it updated it. I get to the point where i try building it and it fails again. I did end up trying to point the Makefile in the /drivers folder to point to where I thought the sources were in that /lib/modules/VERSION/ folder but still got an error. Not sure where to go from here.

I am running Mandrake 10.1. When I did the dmesg it is running ndiswrapper 0.4. I moved the drivers to my local drive but can not run ndiswrapper -i *.inf to load the driver. It tells me bad command.

try this.... it seemed to help when i had the same problem.

when i did urpmi kernel-source it gave me a diff version that the kernel that i had.... i had to specifically say "urpmi kernel-source-2.6" and then everything worked....

oh, and fully specify the path to the driver and the name, ie,

ndiswrapper -i /home/txwylde/driver.inf

Edited by Sherpa

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a particular reason you're trying to build ndiswrapper? You can find ndiswrapper-0.9-1mdk.i586.rpm (or another architecture) via google (I used rpmfind.net) and urpmi it, but as the post above says, you have to get rid of the 0.4 version that comes with 10.1.

Here's a couple of links which may help:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki...x.php/Uninstall

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki...hp/Installation

(This one covers make (if you still want to) and installation pretty thoroughly).

Remember to follow as many links as you can until you're confortable with it.

Good Luck

BD

:juggle:

Guest txwylde

I figured it out. :) Once I installed Kernel-Source 2.6, installed NDISWRAPPER .8 then upgraded to 1-1. I then made sure I snagged all of the windows XP drivers, including the BIN files. I still had a problem after that. I had thought if I just had the wi fi card detect whatever network. The problem was it saw the 6 networks. I had to TELL it what network to hook up to. Once X restarted, it worked fine. :) I should write up a HOW TO for NDISWRAPPER. it was DEFINATELY a learning experience.