Which system should I select?

niti

ummm... errm... LE2005 / 10.2 is currently cooker in a certain respect. but if you are new to linux, you should definitely not use cooker or 10.2 RC2, as both are testing versions with sometimes grave bugs (especially cooker can leave you with an unbootable system). so, if you are not experienced and do not know how to get out of a real mess with the command line or using live-cds, i would stick to stable versions like 10.1 or wait till 10.2/LE2005 will be released as a stable version.

I just want to update the packages of the 10.2 rc2 and selected only community of the select system section on the proceed 1 in the easy urpmi web site. RC2 has not firefox 1.0.2, flash, java, wincodec etc. Because of this, I will install these packages of the plf packages.

Edited by niti

Yes, the answer to your question for now is to select Cooker from the easy URPMI list. When 10.2 / 2005 is released as a final release, be sure to remove your sources and add them again, this time choosing 10.2 / 2005 as the version on easy URPMI, otherwise you will continue to use Cooker while it becomes unstable again as we develop 2006.

MDK 10.1 and 10.0 each had 'Community' and 'Official' releases. Community is released before Official; it is then worked on and bugfixed for a month before Official is released. Thereafter, Official is frozen and remains forever the same. Community is not frozen and updated packages are occasionally added to it. Therefore, easy URPMI includes options for both Community and Official, depending on which you want to use.

Re the community/official distinction.

Just out of curiousity - what is the defining distinction between them?

Does that mean that community has passed official out in terms of updates etc.? I have mandrake 10.1 community - would it be worthwhile in terms of stabilty to use the official mirrors in easy urpmi rather than the community ones?

Is there a defining difference between the two - I mean at what point would one describe they're distro as official, if using official repositories after a community install; or am I completely missing the point on this?

Thanks for indulging a novice's curiousity :)

Aonghus