How to set up SoundBlaster Live! 24 bit?

javaguy

As the thread title suggests, I just put a SB Live! in my PC. My motherboard also has integrated sound, and when I go into MCC and browse the hardware I see both devices, but the SoundBlaster says module unknown. I'm running Mandrake 10.1, BTW.

Now I'm not a guru, so any advice, please walk me through it step by step or point me to a document that does. (Yes, I've Googled it, but couldn't find anything that told me what to do in any language I could understand. :) ).

Are you sure you googled this board? I must have explained it al least 20 times :D

Ok here goes for 21:

Open the MCC, hardware, hardware, select the new soundcard, click configure and load the alsa-driver (snd-XXXXX). Change to MCC system services and make sure alsa is running (do all this with every sound application closed, including kmix in the systray)

For your setup: Open kmix again and make sure the soundcard is elected and not your onboard sound.

If you hear nothing open a console and type alsamixer and make sure nothing is muted.

If all this doesn't work open a console and type lspci -v and post the output for your soundcard.

Good luck.

Hardware: Went into MCC and ran config on my sound card. Set driver to snd-intel8x0, which it says is the default. When I hit Okay it says it's applying the configuration, but then back on the MCC Hardware screen it still says Driver Module: Unknown for my sound card.

Doesn't look good, but I then ran kmix anyway and it said, unsurprisingly, "Alsa mixer cannot be found...Please check that the sound card is installed and the soundcard driver loaded."

Since the default sound is snd-intel-8x0 (which should not happen), that means your onboard sound is still turned on. During the computer bootup, go to the bios (usually by pressing Del during bootup) and disable the Onboard sound. After that, Mandrake Control Center should be able to choose your soundblaster card better.

Since the default sound is snd-intel-8x0 (which should not happen), that means your onboard sound is still turned on. During the computer bootup, go to the bios (usually by pressing Del during bootup) and disable the Onboard sound. After that, Mandrake Control Center should be able to choose your soundblaster card better.

Yep, I thought I'd disabled onboard sound, but when I went into BIOS setup again it was enabled. So I disabled it, and now only the Audigy card appears in the hardware list. When I click on it and click "Run config tool" it now says "No sound card has been detected on your machine," this despite that it detects it at least enough for it to appear in the list.

And yes, alsa is running and all sound applications off.

probably won't work in 10.1. The important thing here is that the card is a Live! *24 bit*, which is a completely different beast from the old plain Live! It's a fairly new card which uses a fairly new ALSA module which is only present in ALSA 1.0.8, so you'll have to wait for MDK 10.2 before it'll work (unless you try building ALSA, or run the latest Cooker kernel on 10.1, neither of which I'd recommend). I don't know if we've got any auto-detect code for it in 10.2 yet - if not, the module you'll want to set it up to use is snd-ca0106 . If you look around on 10.1, you'll likely find that module doesn't exist.

yup...exactly what I thought

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=22408&hl=

which is why I bought the old live. You'll notice the old isn't even available at the link or any other electronic/computer store. Racking my brain after visiting 3 stores looking for the old live I thought..."WalMart!" hehehe....they had one on the self. Get it now or forever hold your peice. ;) ..of course, you can probably find it online but I hate waiting on shipping.

Or...get 10.2 now while it's still in testing stage

Thanks for the advice.

It won't kill me to wait until 10.2 has a release edition. I can re-enable my onboard sound thingumajig (I think that's the technical term for it) and live with it for the time being. The integrated sound doesn't seem to play well with TeamSpeak, but I can live with it.

bvc: why do you want a Live! so badly anyway? It's a rubbish card. Bit late now, but you should have got a Chaintech AV710 instead - costs $30, works perfectly on Linux, doesn't resample everything to 48KHz, has bit-perfect digital outs and beats the pants off the Live! (and the first Audigy, for that matter) for sound quality. Given that E-Mu cards don't have working Linux drivers, it's the best sound card you can buy for a reasonable amount of money on Linux.