Mandrake Linux 10.2 Beta2

Frederick

Hi all,

I have been using Mandrake 10.2 Beta2 for just over an hour but i am already quite pleased with the changes made.

10.1 did notwork for me, but 10.2 works a charm, albeit a bit slow (but i only have 128MB of PC100 RAM on a laptop).

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you tried it yet and i just wanted to start a thread that would compile the thoughts we all have on it.

Cheers.

Edited by Frederick

Mandrake 10.2 beta 2 is very stable :D

Had some problems with alsa (already solved) but that's all

Saw no bigger bugs by now :)

There are some problems with printers - not detecting correctly

but you can always install it manually

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Arcasia

It seems my disk 2 and 3 have problems, as MD10.2b3 decided it couldn't install about 50 packages. I am running it on a P200 w/128MB. I figured that once I got the system up, I would just go out to the net and get the packages that didn't install.

I have gone through the entire list of Dist. Sources, and every single one comes back broken. I guess I have to wait until 10.2b3 becomes an official dist. before I can update it or to add packages?

Thanks in advance,

Arcasia

Guest Arcasia

Ok. Thanks for the heads up. BTW: I did not see any tool in the menus for accessing the Cooker. I am fairly newbish at working with Mandrake. I used to use RH a lot, until they started stripping the enterprise type of tools out of it, for thier comercial product. I am using Mandrake for my dev machine, and Debian for the online production machines.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I've been happily running rc1 and since Sunday rc2 on my laptop, and am now configuring my desktop.

Please, any problems you find, check if a bugreport exists on http://qa.mandrakesoft.com and if so, vote for it; if not, report the bug!

I've noticed that suspend to disk no longer works (found references on the web that swsuspend has been messed with quite a bit, so not sure if this is due to mdk developers or general issues), but in exchange now suspend to ram / standby works.

My wireless usb dongle no longer works, no clue why - the driver is there and all...

I've noted some more smaller things, on the whole it will be nice, but I can already hear people complaining that there is no kde 3.4, no gnome 2.10 and no OOo 2.0.

Ah well....

my impression was so far okay, except for some minor things that left me puzzled.

the boot-time takes longer than in 10.1 (as already mentioned), the design is downright ugly imho (someone called that something like a stoned daffy duck and it fits it well). but the biggest surprise was the follwoing thing:

i did a basic install without kde and gnome, but blackbox. i wanted to put xfce4.2 on it later. i logged in, no problem there but when i tried to open ANY application, it didn't do anything. i checked the system and found out that EVERY application, every file, every folder belonged to root and no one else, so no matter what i wanted to do, i had to do it as root. sounds weird, eh?

i tried with a new user, checked the permissions, the security level and everything had the same settings, my 10.0 and 10.1 had day in and day out. and everything worked like a charm there. i know that this can be manually edited with a few commands from the cli, but for an untrained linux user, this is something of an horror, i guess. :unsure:

Made a ftp install some weeks ago, regularly updated.

Seems I am the only one who likes the splash screen, it's sweet :-)

The kde 3.3.2 version rocks !!! Snappy, responsive. Good decision.

(Yes, I tried thac's 3.4., a big mess and slower and useless dependencies with *dev* packages :angry: )

Made a LiveCD, it's a first test for the upcoming MCNLive. Maybe interesting for those who don't want to do a HD install at the moment. Special (unionfs makes all dir's writable): you can urpmi all applications, and add/install them to the CD/RAM, on the fly, the sources are preconfigured.

Look here . Please check the readme.txt first.

Edited by anna