Desktop Linux cracks Freak Mainstream

spinynorman

Yeah I've read it. While it's true that more companies involved that respect the philosophy of OSS is always a welcome thing, I don't like the negative, 'let-me-talk-down-on-them-for-a-bit' tone of the article.

Am I a freak because I run Linux? I've got quite a normal job, thank you and a normal (though not overly exciting) private life. I guess all the new people who sign up on this and other boards daily, are freaks as well?

The upshot of all these stories is that desktop Linux is still in a dismal state. And it took the Desktop Summit last week in San Diego to remind us of it.

So they didn't like the Desktop Summit. Big deal. But how that leads to the conclusion desktop Linux is still in a dismal state is anyones guess. My personal experience with Linux in the past few years says otherwise.

Personally, I find it a bit insulting, really.

I agree that the tone of the article is slightly unfortunate, Darkelve. I think the point is that 'ordinary' folks aren't using Linux on the desktop, and large companies should take opportunities like this to do something about it.

Can't help with your boring social life, though - I have the same problem. :zzz:

microsoft backhander?

:juggle:

i think the reviewer was more interested in the "linspire domination" rather than "is linux ready for the desktop" !

still who cares, one review say's this and another say's that, at the end of the day linux is still being talked about.

and as they say "all publicity is good publicity".

regards

reb :D

Edited by reb2

I wouldn't take anything you read on the register to heart, they're downbeat on pretty much everything.

:o :o Its Spinynormans favourite website, your in big trouble now :o :o

No Spinynorman, you can't ban Qchem just because he doesn't like the register. :cheeky: :D :D

I agree that the tone of the article is slightly unfortunate, Darkelve.  I think the point is that 'ordinary' folks aren't using Linux on the desktop, and large companies should take opportunities like this to do something about it.

Can't help with your boring social life, though - I have the same problem.  :zzz:

if this is right, then my dad (teacher), my mom (journalist) and me (journalist and dtp-printer), a friend of mine (software consultant) and my brother (lawyer) wouldn't be ordinary people. strange... i never felt that "unordinary". :P

The author of the review was rather smart-allecky, and I didn't agree with his assesment of desktop Linux being in an "abysmal state".

However, I have no beef with the article. It seems his main point was that more prime time Linux players should get involved with the Desktop Linux summit, and not have it so Linspire centric. I can't argue with that.