a new day in my linux life

ramfree17

after about 3 years of using mandrake i have finally installed another distro: Arch Linux.

i am still having trouble letting pacman sort the dependencies in the cd but im reading the arch linux first impressions right now from SoulSe and will try the --refresh option when i get home. :mr-green:

over-all it looks snappy and clean although i cannot say its faster. one more perk is now i have a multi-boot computer (Win2k for the missus, MDK10.1 OE and Arch Wombat for me :D). i finally weaned myself from lilo and have transferred to grub. man, i did not know that grub was that easy. :woops:

my wombat installation is still pretty bare (i managed to install xfce yesterday) and i still need to figure out how to download the extra packages since i dont have internet at home. i suppose cygwin+wget+bash will help me in that area.

i also have to transfer the /var directory to its own partition and have arch share the /tmp with mdk. and i have to find out a way of making hotplug daemon work because i think im sitll missing a module. still a long way to go but at least im moving... :)

enough of this rant.... i better get back to work...

ciao!

[edit] oh yeah, i still have around 10Gig of unpartitioned space in my 40GB drive so now that i am more confident in multi-booting, i might try the free Ubuntu CDs that arrived in my mailbox. :headbang:

[moved from Talk-Talk by spinynorman]

well it's about time :rolleyes:

you'll be a distro ho in no time :beer:

Haven't done arch myself. I was dist_out b4 it came along and have no interest to learn yet another pkg manager.

grub rocks

I've heard it said that ppl tried it and didn't get it and went back to lilo, and I never got that :juggle:

It's so much easier IMO.

Have Fun!

:banana:

the best i can hope for is a distro-mini-ho. :D

really, all i want is to experience 1 rpm based distro (Mandrake), 1 slackware-distro (im leaning towards vectorlinux), 1 debian-based distro (maybe ubuntu), and 1 hybrid distro in terms of usability and linux-guide (arch).

all that hinders me is available time. :( but ill take it slowly and surely. :D

ciao!

Arch is cool, you'll enjoy it. The only things I didn't like were the community and pacman, which I thought was great, but not as good as portage (just me).

I can reccomend trying out those Ubuntu discs you got. Ubuntu is great... it won't remember my DNS settings for some reason (tried a whole lot of 'solutions') but it's a neat distro.

arch is my distro of choice. it does everything i need, and nothing more - that's why i like it. i experienced a lot of distro's before coming around to arch - gentoo, ubuntu, FC, mandrake, etc. - but i kept coming back to arch :)

enjoy the distro ho-ism! it's good to find the one you like :)

I can reccomend trying out those Ubuntu discs you got. Ubuntu is great... it won't remember my DNS settings for some reason (tried a whole lot of 'solutions') but it's a neat distro.

errm... di d you lock your resolv.conf file? if yes, this only works if you have ext2 or ext3 fileformat for your /root partition. reiserfs will always overwrite that file unless you create a script for it or hack the dhcp-script.

arch is my distro of choice.  it does everything i need, and nothing more - that's why i like it.  i experienced a lot of distro's before coming around to arch - gentoo, ubuntu, FC, mandrake, etc. - but i kept coming back to arch :)

enjoy the distro ho-ism!  it's good to find the one you like :)

i am liking it but it is normal that i still am doing things the way i am used to mandrake. i admit i have not been able to boot my computer since i started this thread so i have not yet grown accustom to the urpmi-pacman shift.

distro ho-ism is good if you have the time, and that is one prime commodity that i do not have. the missus is even pestering me about doing some painting in the house. the life of a married man is alway full of (time-consuming) suprises. :D

ciao!

Arch is the best distro I have touched so far... extremely fast, so simple than even a dummy can figure out how to make the damn thing work with just a minimum of knowledge, and perfectly balanced between bleeding edge and lack of bugs. A total n00b will not feel too familiar with it, as there is no control center or any GUI for pacman and basic administration, but the majority of Linux users could (should?) fall in love with it.

my wombat installation is still pretty bare (i managed to install xfce yesterday) and i still need to figure out how to download the extra packages since i dont have internet at home. i suppose cygwin+wget+bash will help me in that area.

Simply create a local repository, as described in:

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacma...20configuration

Also, do NOT use a physical partition for /tmp in Arch. Remove devfs competely (you could omit it while installing the OS) and keep it like that on /etc/fstab (it's the default):

none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

Edited by scarecrow

errm... di d you lock your resolv.conf file? if yes, this only works if you have ext2 or ext3 fileformat for your /root partition. reiserfs will always overwrite that file unless you create a script for it or hack the dhcp-script.

<secret> I set a cron job to re-write resolv.conf every ten minutes </secret> Don't tell anyone! :P

I guess I'll go and do it properly now :jester:

It is good finding the distro for you. Arch came close for me, but Gentoo is my distro. It is, for lack of a better word, *perfect* :cheesy:

Ubuntu is growing on me though.

A bit of a digression, but why do people think Grub is better than Lilo? I've never got the hang of it and find its naming of partitions off putting. But as time goes by I wonder whether I ought to consider it more seriously. So why Grub? If Lilo ain't broke why fix it? Or is Lilo getting broke? Thanks.

A bit of a digression, but why do people think Grub is better than Lilo? I've never got the hang of it and find its naming of partitions off putting. But as time goes by I wonder whether I ought to consider it more seriously. So why Grub? If Lilo ain't broke why fix it? Or is Lilo getting broke? Thanks.

It's ok to digress to make a comment, but if you want a discussion, please start a new thread. :deal: