Internet Connection Sharing (staying connected problems)

Steve Scrimpshire

Ok...now I have a new problem...I can share the internet connection (dialup), but it often dies for no reason. Signal (or error) 16....what do I need to enable to troubleshoot this? Linux and Win98SE are the two boxes that share, with Linux dialing up. I use kppp to dialup and I thought I could add the debug option in the command to run kppp, but it tells me everytime that it dies that debugging was not enabled, so it can't help me. It could just be that our ISP drops us because sharing that small bandwidth makes us too slow. Any ideas? TIA.

Did you check in /var/log if there is an interesting log file ? I use pppoe so I can't help you much but lots of app log their activities in /var/log so maybe kppp do it too.

Just an idea...

MOttS

I would start by installing wvdial (on the mdk cds). It has a small config file and after that you type wvdial to dial in. It is the most stable PPP dialer for Linux.

If wvdial can't hold onto the connection then it might be on your ISP's side or could be a 'dirty' phone line (static).

Some more info: can you do anything on the internet before the ppp daemon dies? Does it always disconnect at the same time or is it inconsistant?

It's totally inconsistent. Sometimes I can be logged in and surfing for hours before it dies. It does seem to happen more often and the connection lasts shorter if there is someone actively surfing on the Win98 box while I am. I do notice errors in ifconfig ... here's an example:

inet addr:192.168.0.1  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:112756 errors:105 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:386

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:218 txqueuelen:100

RX bytes:8632737 (8.2 Mb)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Interrupt:9 Base address:0xe000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1

RX packets:6845 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:6845 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:490407 (478.9 Kb)  TX bytes:490407 (478.9 Kb)

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol

inet addr:65.146.9.170  P-t-P:63.152.2.226  Mask:255.255.255.255

UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:316 errors:2 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:350 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:3

RX bytes:206851 (202.0 Kb)  TX bytes:37159 (36.2 Kb)

Note: This is shortly after being booted and reconnecting.

Forgot to say this is a Linksys HPN (HomePhonelineNetwork) network card and this is a very old house, but I got booted way less when we were not sharing the connection. The modem is a Conexant/Rockwell HCF(?) (not sure if it's an HCF or HSF, but it's the one whose driver was released last).

Don't see any unusual error messages in /var/log/messages. The most useful thing I've gotten is:

....Can't find interface ppp0

It was pppd that died....

I guess it could be that the phone lines in the house are so old that the eth0 interface (which is supposed to operate over the data part of the phoneline and not interfere with telephone calls if the network is up) is in some way causing interference with the ppp0.

Yip! I would guess that your phone line is 'dirty' if you call your service provider (phone company) and ask them to clear your line, they should be able to get rid of any static on the line.

Try using wvdial anyway, it is hella stable.

For what its worth I had trouble dialing up with kppp too. When I switched and used another one (can't remember which one) the internet was a) unbelievably fast, and B) unbelievably stable.

My recommendation: Use a different app to dial.