Kernel Source RPM

I have just downloaded the 2.6.10 kernel source rpm for Mandrake, but i don't really know what to do with it.

I tried rpm -i but it has installed somewhere and I cannot find it (I thought it would be in usr/src/somewhere)

Then I tried rpmbuild but it claims there is no rpmbuild command please tell me what to do.

Thanks

moved from Installing MDK (anon)

I just want to use it in place of my current kernel

try 2 look at it at /usr/src/

if u find /usr/src/linux-2.6.10 and want to try to install it... try this..

first, issue uname -r to find what version your current working kernel.. then copy the working kernel config @ /boot ... uĺl find there several config-2.6.xxxxx, so issue cp /boot/config-2.xx-working-config /usr/src/linux-2.6.10/.config

then, issue make oldconfig, it will prompt some options...

then try make xconfig, or make menuconfig for GUI selection of options...

after that.. try to edit the Makefile under the kernel source and change ur extraversion=

then type make, then make modules_install, then make install

the make will create bzimage, will do the make modules also and the make install will do the rest, including the creation of additional entry in ur grub or lilo :P

hope it helps a little :D

• 2 weeks later...
I have just downloaded the 2.6.10 kernel source rpm for Mandrake, but i don't really know what to do with it.

moved from Installing MDK (anon)

WHERE??? WHERE THE HELL DID U FIND THAT RPM?? :D

I'M GOING CRAZY I CAN'T FIND IT!! PLEASE GIVE ME THAT LINK!!!! :cheeky:

does it exist an already compiled latest kernel version ? i can't compile it i get a strage error!! (i'm about posting for that)

Edited by AleXxiO

oh no!! i try to install it and asked me i gotta install another dependence but it asked me some packed should have been removed...so i typed yes and now every rpm i click it ask me which program i have to use in order to open that file!! and now? i tried easy urpmi but it says contrib support is already installed!!

i can just install rpm from konsole but before i could do it with interface!!

and more, now i get this error:

[root@alexxiolinux Documents]# rpm -Uvh kern*

warning: kernel-2.6.10.3mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 267 52624

Preparing... ########################################### [100%]

1:kernel-2.6.10.3mdk ########################################### [100%]

Undefined subroutine &detect_devices::begins_with called at /usr/lib/libDrakX/de tect_devices.pm line 183.

error: %post(kernel-2.6.10.3mdk-1-1mdk) scriptlet failed, exit status 255

[root@alexxiolinux Documents]#

------------------

shit!!! i 've just seen i have no more the option "configure your computer" In MENU....i just have configure dektop!!!

Edited by AleXxiO

Don't use kernel RPM's from Cooker. They are compiled using a different gcc version than your system, and that spells trouble.

But you can get the 2.6.10 .src.rpm package, and compile the kernel yourself (you will also need the initscripts package):

rpm --rebuild kernel*.src.rpm

(it surely will take quite some time to finish). The built packages can be found at /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/somewhere (depending on your system architecture).

All that said, currently all 2.6.10 kernels from Cooker I've tried (on Mandy 10.2) are at the very best problematic.

in case this has not been said yet...

kernel-source=compile a custom kernel, other apps, development, drivers etc....

kernel-blablabla.src.rpm=compile the kernel... and it takes a very loOOOong time, from what I've heard. Longer than with the kernel-source? I d/k but that's what they say.

rpm --rebuild is the old way

rpmbuild --rebuild is the new way

rpmbuild is part of the rpm-build pkg.

Edited by bvc