partitioning software in linux?

udontlie

can someone give me a partition program for mandrake or other distros?

i have like 6 gigs free that isnt even used by either Xp or mandrake

its just free, nothing is on it

i messed up my partitions while installing mandrake

i created one too many free space

i tried to use partition magic but somethings wrong

i cant even start the damn thing

can someone suggest some programs?

thanks

I don't know if it's avaible or recommendable for Mandrake, but there's a program I'm using with my Ubuntu Linux that's called QTParted.

Edit: I've added a dcreenshot of it.

.:=The AI Dude=:.

If you mean you get errors that you won't let partition magic fix, I've always let it fix them so that it'll start. Others have said this has caused them problems but I've done it for 3 years w/o a problem.

If it just flat out will not start, watch out, and consider not touching a thing! Modifying the partition table with such a problem could easily render all but linux useless, and maybe linux to.

I'd go with parted long b4 diskdrake. What diskdrake did at install is most likely the reason partition magic won't start though all linux partition utils and lilo can do that.

Because of all this kind of crap for 3.5 years, I ended up reinstalling everything and letting nothing but partition magic do partitioning, and never putting a linux bootloader in the mbr and using BootMagic. Not a prob since ;)

have fun!

Edited by bvc

I agree with tymark, and the name is

diskdrake

And please be careful if you using Mdk-10.x and PQMagic on the windows side :D. I (my friend exactly) experienced 2 times lost all partition data because I let PQMagic fix the partition.

If you are using Journalized FS ext3 in your existing Linux OS but are NOT using the very latest Partition Magic then earlier versions will show an ERROR for the hard drive as a whole because earlier versions of Partition Magic cannot read xt3, it can only read ext2

Using MCC to format the extra space you have spare should be perfectly OK. Then use it as a /Store (or a name of your choice) for stuff you want always available such as music, graphics, photos, documents etc., and do not want to have to reinstall or reload every time you do a system install or reinstall.

You are very lucky you have a spare partition, most people do NOT make enough partitions so consider it as an asset.

If you want to join it back up to your Mandrake partition then delete the free partition and then resize the adjacent partition (make sure you do a backup of important data in that adjacent partition first though--------just in case !!!!!).

It all sounds a little tricky but it isn't really.

Cheers. John

The only program which never messes the disk is fdisk

cfdisk is quite good and will warn you before ...

wouldn't touch diskdrake with a bargepole after it fsck'd up my data disk (a couple of years ago) and besides its crap because its a distro specific tool and all distro specific tools are crap because they have a limited test and also they don't work in other distro's ... not to mention they might wreck your other distro's....

parted and qtparted have reportedly had some errors in the libraries...

I use them sometimes but very much prefer the CLI for something as important and potentially dangerous as editing the partition table.