Mandrake 10 can't read cdrom created by windows

BobC

I had my digital camera downloaded at various camera shops during a trip I recently took. After returning home, I tried to look at these photos (four different cds), but only one had the number of pictures I expected. I examined the cds on another computer, which runs on windows 95, and was glad to see many more photos files are visible with that operating system.

I am wondering how I can set up my mandrake 10 system to see all the files on these CDs.

From hunting around on the internet, I understant the /etc/fstab file may have the answer to my question, so here that is,

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hda9 /boot ext3 defaults 1 2

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdc12 /home_hdc12 ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdc7 /home_hdc7 ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0022,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda10 /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda7 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda8 /usr/local ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda11 /var ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/hdc5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Thanks for your help

I think it is the way the cd is burned that is the problem. What is the software used to burn the CD in the first place?

Hi-

I don't know for certain, since the camera stores in the cities of China, where i was visiting, just did the downloading of my camer for me. They were likely using a version of windows xp.

I've heard that some files created on CD's are actaully marked as hidden. Winblow$ ignores this file attribute and displays them anyway., Linux respects the creator's desire to have the file hidden (whether it was accidental or not) and hides them from view.

As I recall, there is an option you can add to the cdrom entry in the fstab to force display of hidden files. Someone else will have to fill in exactly what that is, I think it might be "nohide" or something like that.

Cheers!

Edited by nchancock

You don't say how you are looking at the files? Konqueror? CLI etc.

can you as root in a CLI for instance see them with

ls -a

if this is long winded then

wc -l | ls -a will count the number of lines (including directory entries etc.) which you can compate to wc -l | ls

I am now able to find all of my photo files on the 3 cdroms which gave me problems. What I did to get it working, using Konsole, was to umount and then mount the cdrom.

There still is something not quite right with my system however. With 1 of the cdroms, Konsole showed completely different contents, before and after umount. But when I try to reproduce that just now, I notice that the cdrom is now mounting automatically, and I no longer consistently see the two different lists of files. I have a copy of both sets saved to my hard drive so I know I am not imagining all of this.

The first list of files is 32 family photos from another customer. The second list of files, seen after remounting, are 290 of my own, without those from the other customer.

I just installed a new version of DigiKam (0.7.1) which needed quite a few other files be added as well., so perhaps I have messed up Mandrake 10 in some way. A few of the extra files needed by Digikam were from Mandrake 10.1

Thanks again