Mounting Problem

Tuxiscool

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wiggle gently. Broken solders are a real bear to repair. Better yet, if the contact is not good, simply pull the stick and reinsert it several times. It is safer than damaging the ram slot.

Just as an aside: Yes, you only have to wiggle very gently. You just use the play that is already provided by the connector. It's much less stressful on the solder connections and traces than plugging the RAM in again. I found that simply unplugging and plugging the RAM back in did nothing for me. Every time I unplugged it and plugged it back in again the pins were just being pushed out of position again.

Glitz.

How did you try to access the audio CDs?

I tried 3 different ways, when i went in Konqueror to /mnt/cdrom it says i dont have the access rights,when i try to play it throuh KsCD the timer works and it recognises the tracks on the CD but no sound comes out.When i try to mount it in the Konsole it says "mount: according to mtab, none is already mounted on /mnt/cdrom mount failed.

How did you try to access the audio CDs?

I tried 3 different ways, when i went in Konqueror to /mnt/cdrom it says i dont have the access rights,when i try to play it throuh KsCD the timer works and it recognises the tracks on the CD but no sound comes out.When i try to mount it in the Konsole it says "mount: according to mtab, none is already mounted on /mnt/cdrom mount failed.

Okay, that's what I thought. You don't mount audio CDs (in fact, they can't be mounted). You just stick them in and then run a CD audio player. I've never tried KsCD so I don't know the program. However, since the track display comes up and counts then the CD is probably being played correctly. The problem must lie between the CD drive and the output of the sound card.

I assume you made sure that the mixer is turned up and that the correct channel is enabled. Secondly, you have to have an audio cable installed from the CD drive audio output to the CD audio input of your sound card. This fact is often overlooked since windows media player extracts the audio digitally and plays it and therefore doesn't need the cable. I don't know if any linux CD players exist with this capability yet.

Glitz.

When i try to mount it in the Konsole it says "mount: according to mtab, none is already mounted on /mnt/cdrom mount failed.
Can u post the contents of /etc/fstab ? It should not have any "none" in the cdrom entry. I had the same problem and I fixed it by replacing the "none" with "/mnt/cdrom" (I have supermount enabled). But if u do not have supermount enabled, u may need to replace "none" with "/dev/cdrom".

here it is

/dev/hda6 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Tuxiscool,

There is no need to disable supermount since I have supermount enabled and can hear sound from audio cd's just fine. While supermount is buggy, the real problem is elsewhere. I had almost the same problem as u and fixed the problem as follows.

Replace the lines in /etc/fstab:

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0 

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0 

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0 

with

/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0 

/mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0 

/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

Then try ur luck with audio cd's.

now when i try to mount it says 

/dev/hdc: Input/output error 

mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified

Looks like u have already disabled supermount. So I guess ur fstab entries now look like:

/dev/hdc    none     iso9660 codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,nosuid,ro,umask=0,user,nodev,exec       0 0

/dev/scd0   none     iso9660 codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,ro,nosuid,umask=0,user,exec,nodev       0 0

/dev/fd0    none     vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,sync,unhide,noauto,nosuid,umask=0,user,nodev      0 0

and should be changed to

/dev/hdc    /mnt/cdrom      iso9660 codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,nosuid,ro,umask=0,user,nodev,exec       0 0

/dev/scd0   /mnt/cdrom2     iso9660 codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,ro,nosuid,umask=0,user,exec,nodev       0 0

/dev/fd0    /mnt/floppy     vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,sync,unhide,noauto,nosuid,umask=0,user,nodev      0 0

Basically, replace each none by one of /mnt/cdrom, /mnt/cdrom2 and /mnt/floppy.

after taking off supermount it looks like this

/dev/hda6 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,nosuid,ro,umask=0,user,nodev 0 0

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom2 auto codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,nosuid,ro,umask=0,user,nodev 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,sync,unhide,noauto,nosuid,umask=0,user,nodev 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0