nVidia - AGAIN!?!

3lade

Right first off sorry for bringing up yet another thread on nvidia but I am having some problems.

I have tried to install the drivers for my GeForce4 Ti4200. I searched the forum and found this thread http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...ighlight=nvidia and used it to work from. I used the NVChooser.sh file from nvidia to determine which kernal and glx file to use. I then installed kernal then glx rpm, modified the XFree congig as per the post. But when rebooting X failed to start.

I have now tried this twice and each time have had to re-install and restore to get MDK to work again.

Can someone help with a point by point install guide or at least a way of removing the damage i cause. :lol:

quick question to see where you're at:

Did you install the rpm's and modify the file while the X-server was still running? if so, that is your problem(most likely). The X-server has to be shutdown whenever you install the RPM's and modify the file.

(btw-don't apologize, if we didn't want to help, we wouldn't be here.)

which brand nvidia ti4200 are you using?

what error messages are you getting?

show the contents of /var/log/XFree86.0.log here so we have more info?

after your linux crashes for the first time start linux in test mode by typing linux 3 at the lilo prompt. If you get the graphocal lilo the press escape to get the lilo prompt.

then log in as root and then get that output.

while youre at it use drakxconf to configure your X again so you can start in grapphics mode again and post here.

u may have to remove the Nvidia drivers using rpm -e

anyway see if that output helps u

I also noticed in the link you used that

rpm --rebuild

was used, and that

Load "glx"

wasn't mentioned. Make sure it's in the Modules Section of the XF86Config-4 file.

As for rpm --rebuild...the new correct way is

rpmbuild --rebuild

Concerning NVIDIA, some have had problems with rpm --rebuild.

Should the same happen again , reboot, at the lilo prompt press the ESC key, then type linux 3

After booting you will need to login. Login as root, then type,

vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Edit that file by pressing the i key

Find the line that you changed to "nvidia" and edit to read "nv"

Then press the ESC key, then the : key then type wq (write, quit )

The file is now saved, type reboot and all should be well. Of course you then have to sort out the cause of the nvidia problem, but the above will stop you from having to re-install, Your not running windoze here, re-installing is seldom nessasary with Linux 8)

Hi,

I haven't Geforce4, but a Geforce2 MMX400. I first installed the rpm-packages, but that also caused my X-server to crash when I restarted the computer. I also installed them when working in graphical mode. This can be the problem I don't know. Anyway, I have now installed the nvidia-drivers in tar-format: (This is not difficult: you just have to type make install (I think: check this first in the docs, it's written down)). Be sure rou're kernel en glx-version are the same!.

I installed these packages in graphical mode and there was no problem. I restarted and now The nvidia-drivers work...

->Short: Try installing using the tar-files....

I hoped this helped a little bit.

Michel

Guest Phat Penguin

There is no need to reinstall the OS. I made the mistake of not shutting down the X Server when I originally installed the nvidia drivers after building from the src rpm's.

After making the changes in the XF86Config-4 file as pointed out, I ran a "modprobe -k nvidia" from the commandline - this should get you back up and running and then you can make the necessary changes.

This worked for me.

Okay:

1) Make sure X windows is not running when you install the drivers.

2) Make sure you uninstalled any previous versions of the nvidia drivers before installing a new version.

3) In XF86Config-4:

a) Make sure "nv" is changed to "nvidia"

B) Make sure there is: Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so"

c) Delete: Load "dri"

d) Delete: Load "GLcore"

e) Delete any screen section containing: Depth 32

f) Make sure the resolutions in the other screen sections are valid and add any missing resolutions you want.

4) At this point, if X will not start using startx then continue below:

a) Make sure /dev/nvidia0 and /dev/nvidiactl exist. If not do the following (as root):

i) mknod /dev/nvidia0 c 195 0

ii) mknod /dev/nvidia1 c 195 1

iii) mknod /dev/nvidia2 c 195 2

iv) mknod /dev/nvidia3 c 195 3

v) mknod /dev/nvidiactl c 195 255

5) At this point, if X still will not start then continue below:

a) As root, edit /etc/modules.conf and make sure the following line exists:

alias char-major-195 NVdriver

6) If it still doesn't start then there is something really wrong.

For more detail, check the README.TXT file on the Nvidia site.

Glitz.