DNS problems with my router under Mandrake 10.1

m0tion

:lol: i won't stop talking "crap" in here. i have received many thank you's from other users on just this specific problem. if it didn't work on your box, this is not my fault.

also... i just could have said: "read the f*cking manual" or "use the search tool" instead of trying to help on the ipv6 problem once again (btw: i was the first one who discovered this problem in here). but i was patient and willing to sacrifice my time on your problem although i had not reason for giving you any help.

am i such a bad person only because my suggestions didn't help this time? sounds silly to me. :angry:

anon: :thanks:

I agree with Anon and Arctic. Most of the time we answer questions because we recognize the problem. However that doesn't mean that every solution works. A problem might be a bit different (reiserfs). Still, íIf we use each others input (arctics comment about dhclient made me realize dhcpcd isn't used anymore) and google most problems get solved.

I agree, that was rude and ungreatful. Thanks for pointing that out, I took the little experience I had with this forum and one particular member out of context and made a general assumption that isn't true. Sorry I took the frustration I felt from my own problem and projected it onto someone who was was actually trying to help me solve it, that was really in poor taste.

Formally apology to arctic:

I'm sorry for saying that you should stop helping people on this forum. The very nature of that statement is the total opposite of the attitude one should have on a Linux help forum. Your suggested solutions didn't work for me and I generalized that and I was obviously wrong. I hope you accept my apology.

I'm going to edit my post and remove the last lines.

Again, sorry to everyone and thanks again for pointing out my mistake.

Edited by m0tion

No doubt arctic will reply to your apology , but speaking personally and as an admin here thanks for the apology. B)

I agree, that was rude and ungreatful.  Thanks for pointing that out, I took the little experience I had with this forum and one particular member out of context and made a general assumption that isn't true.  Sorry I took the frustration I felt from my own problem and projected it onto someone who was was actually trying to help me solve it, that was really in poor taste.

Formally apology to arctic:

I'm sorry for saying that you should stop helping people on this forum.  The very nature of that statement is the total opposite of the attitude one should have on a Linux help forum.  Your suggested solutions didn't work for me and I generalized that and I was obviously wrong.  I hope you accept my apology.

I'm going to edit my post and remove the last lines.

apology accepted. ;)

i do know that sometimes users get frustrated and someone can be involuntarily the target on whom all the frustration materialzes. this time it was me. :cheesy:

now, i can tell you one thing: as i was the one of the very first persons to find out about the problem you had, i had to find the solutions the hard way. it was quite difficult to get linux running as expected on any of my boxes. and once i found a solution for the ipv6 problem in gentoo, i thought "horray" and tried the very same thing in mandrake, ubuntu, debian and yoper and it didn't work there. this is where i realized that almost every distro behaves in a different way. and you can bet, i was very frustrated and not far away from throwing all my boxes out of the office (would have been expensive and another frustration afterwards :D).

all information/ideas i gave above work not only on my boxes, but also on other persons computers, so i do know that they CAN help. but neither me, nor anybody else can predict if a solution that worked in distro A might work on distro B or if a solution that worked on 20 installs of mandrake will work in the 21st case. you were the unlucky guy where things did not work the way they were expected.

take a look e.g. at the many install problems we had in here. or mounting/accessing sata drives. a sata drive is a sata drive you might think. but no. sometimes hacking some files helped, sometimes not.

one of the best lessons i learned since dealing with linux is: "relax, take a step back and take some time. think about what you were trying to do and why". linux is not "faster" than windows when trying to get things running and thus, finding a satisfying solution can be a bit of a battle but in the end, the linux-community almost every time found a solution for a problem. and i speak of "community". it's not one persons thinking that makes linux possible but every persons ideas. even if they do not work well every time. ;)

→if a man does a mistake, he and others will learn from this mistake and improve their skills in the end.