Change boot theme with Gnome

leupi

Just to let you all know, I am a real Linux newbie, that said, here is my problem...

I am trying to change the boot theme and nothing seems to work. I am using Mandrake 10.1 and Gnome 2.6. I went to http://art.gnome.org/ and downloaded a couple of boot themes. I then went to gdmsetup > Graphical Greeter and successfully added the theme. I then chose the theme and clicked on 'close'. I logged out and back in but the boot theme never changed.

I opened the Mandrake Control Center > boot > boot theme and the only theme there to choose is 'Discovery'. Any clues as to what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

Todd

hi and welcome aboard :)

umm.. i think you need to clarify something... do you want to change the gnome-login screen or the gnome splash (the picture you see when you login) or do you want to change the bootup-screen (=bootsplash)? what you get at art.gnome.org are splash-screens and gdm themes but NOT bootscreens/bootsplash.

if you want to change a bootsplash, make sure you have installed the bootsplash package. set up mirrors with easyurpmi (information on this is on this forum, faq section and available with google) and install bootsplash in the mandrake-controlcenter. there is also an additional bootsplash themes package for changing the theme.

if you want to change the gdm theme, double click on the theme you want to use at the selection screen (the dot needs to be marked, otherwise it will still use the old theme)

if you want to change the gnome-session splashscreen, you can edit it with gconf or (if you have installed gtweakui) with the sessions-preferences tool on advanced gnome settings.

i hope this helps a bit. :)

hi and welcome aboard :)

umm.. i think you need to clarify something... do you want to change the gnome-login screen or the gnome splash (the picture you see when you login) or do you want to change the bootup-screen (=bootsplash)? what you get at art.gnome.org are splash-screens and gdm themes but NOT bootscreens/bootsplash.

I want to change the login screen. In fact, on art.gnome.org I downloaded what is refered to as "Login Manager". I guess that I am not that clear on the difference between a 'gnome splash' and a 'bootsplash' but I will figure that out...

if you want to change the gdm theme, double click on the theme you want to use at the selection screen (the dot needs to be marked, otherwise it will still use the old theme)

I did all of the above while in gdmsetup and the theme that I chose did have the dot, I even closed gdm and reopened it and the theme was still chosen. I logged out and back in however, and nothing had changed.

I appreciate the advice. I am sure that I am overlooking something simple and will feel pretty silly once I get it figured out... Thanks again

what does /etc/gdm/gdm.conf say?

GraphicalTheme=Human

GraphicalThemeDir=/usr/share/gdm/themes/

you can edit that....provided the theme is actually installed and actually works. Although a.g.o prides itself for quality themes, I do not understand why they claim that :bvc:

Edited by bvc