Need help with 10.1

murphman9

Hi, I'm fairly new to linux, i have used knoppix and some other linux os that boot from a cd but Mandrake 10.1 (community) is the first i have installed on a computer. Well 2nd, i had red hat 9 installed but was having the same problem that i am now.

I have a planet WL-8310 Wireless card, i guess that there isn't a driver in mandrake that comes with it. or most other linux os for that matter. I am just wondering if there is anyone who can help me set it up, or show me where i can learn how. I have searched for hours with no luck so i have come here.

Anyways, i found a few things, ndiswrapper and madwifi, but i'm not sure if they are already on mandrake or if i need to install them, which i don't really know how to do, but i'm sure i could if i had instructions. will those help me get my card running? or can anyone tell me how to? O yea, and i put both those on a disk in case i need them

I would really appreciate it. I hope my hours of searching don't go to waste and i just have to give up and wipe mandrake. Thanks for all your help.

Edited by murphman9

Madwifi is probably the way to go with this card. Look here:

After you untar the madwifi pkg, cd into the new directory it creates and read the INSTALL and/or README file. Also, look here:

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtop...7892&hl=madwifi

ok, i got that, i'm pretty sure i have the make file setup correctly, once i ran it heres what happened. i'm just going to put the errors since i'm typing this all out

if_ath.c: In function 'ath_beacon_tasklist':

if_atg.c:1070:warning: implicit declaration of function 'pci_dma_sync_single'

if_ath.c: In function 'ath_sysctl_stats':

if_ath.c:2516: error: too few arguments to function 'proc_dostring'

if_ath.c: In function 'ath_sysctl_handler':

if_ath.c:2527: error: too few arguments to function 'proc_dointvec'

if_ath.c: In function 'ath_sysctl_dump':

if_ath.c:2552: error: too few arguments to function 'proc_dostring'

if_ath.c: At top level:

if_ath.c:2587: warning: initialization from incompatable pointer type

if_ath.c:2589: warning: initialization from incompatable pointer type

if_ath.c:2591: warning: initialization from incompatable pointer type

if_ath.c:2593: warning: initialization from incompatable pointer type

if_ath.c:2595: warning: initialization from incompatable pointer type

if_ath.c:2597: warning: initialization from incompatable pointer type

if_ath.c:2599: warning: initialization from incompatable pointer type

if_ath.c:2601: warning: initialization from incompatable pointer type

if_ath.c:2603: warning: initialization from incompatable pointer type

make[1]: *** [if_ath.o] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/brian/Desktop/madwifi/driver'

make: *** [all] Error 2

ok, i have it installed now,

i'm just not sure how to configure it, could someone show me? or link some instructions.

i've tried to add a wireless network connection in mandrake control center but something just flashes quickly and dissapears and i'm back to the option load manual driver. it's like it doesn't want to add that or it's not recognizing the device.

although it is recognizing it in hardware. two appear under ethernetcard RTL-8139 and AR5213 802.11g Wireless adapter (the one i'm trying to get to work) i have tried everything with rtl-8139 it configured it upon install but it does not run.

so i'm pretty sure it's the other that has the problem. o yea and i'm running this on a desktop, not a laptop.

this is probably a result of missing a step, but when i try to configure the module it says Paramaters none. that can't be right can it?

Edited by murphman9

Did you just run make in the madwifi folder and go those errors? It looks like your card is supported http://madwifiwiki.thewebhost.de/wiki/MadWifi

You have to run "make" then su to root and "make install" after that you have to run "modprobe ath_pci" then go to the mandrake control center and set it up.

I have a atheros card which the madwifi driver is for. If you go to the Mandrake Control Center>Network Internet>New Connection you can pick out "atho_pci" and go through the setup. Just make sure you have the ssid name right and chances are its a "managed" connection. Like my ssid is "mshome" you should have a setup or name similar in your router for this.

Edited by FX

Oh yea make sure you have the kernel source installed.

In a terminal type "uname -r". Then go to MCC Software mangement and install the kernel source. Like for mine I have 2.6.8.1-12mdksmp for my kernel. I installed the kernel-source 2.6.8.1-12mdk for the driver to compile correctly.

ok, i did the make

first, like before, it looks like it completes, but a few times while it's running it says MODPOST, then theres an error

Warning and then it says something about ath_hal_xxx ............................../ath_hal/ath_hal.ko undefined

(thats not the whole error but i don't really feel like typing out the whole thing

then i do make install

has the same warnings and modpost, which i don't know if thats a command but i tried running modpost and it didn't work

and when i run modprobe ath_pci and it says

WARNING: Error inserting ath_hal .......unknown symbol in module or unknown paramater (see dmesg)

FATAL: Error inserting ath_pci .......unknown symbol in module or unknown paramater (see dmesg)

so that can't be good

ok, and i have 2.6.10 kernel installed, i checked the madwifi site and it says their current version supports it so that shouldn't be a problem, the source is installed on the computer and i'm pretty sure that the make file finds the source automatically since during the make it says entering directory /usr/src/linux-2.6.10

Edited by murphman9

heres what it says,

ath_hal: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel

ath_hal: Unknown symbol ath_hal_wait

ath_hal: Unknown symbol ath_hal_version

ath_hal: Unknown symbol ath_hal_buildopts

wlan: 0.8.4.5 (EXPERIMENTAL)

aht_rate_onoe: 1.0

ath_pci: Unknown symbol _ath_hal_attach

ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_hal_computetxttime

ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_hal_mz2ieee

ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_hal_detach