HomePNA Internet Connection

Guest Jere

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, and new to Linux as well...

I installed Mandrake 10.1, with a Windows dual boot, and everything went fine except that it doesn't connect to the internet. My connection is a HomePNA connection; I live in a block of flats and there is a router in the basement, which is used by many people in this house...

The adapter is an ADMtek ADM8511 USB to Fast Ethernet converter. Mandrake has no problems recognizing it; It finds the correct module (pegasus) and the adapter is initialized as eth1 (eth0 is a built-in networking card of some sort, that I don't use, and eth2 should be the firewire (1394 something)).

I've tried various configurations but it won't connect anywhere. Konqueror and Opera can't load any websites and an icon in the tray are tells me that the network is down. It works allright in Windows so I've checked what configuration it uses - DHCP should be enabled, and the DHCP server is, AFAIK, 192.168.1.1. If I do a traceroute from Windows, the first hop is the router, which has this IP and the hostname vigor2200.

Any ideas what to do? Configuring DHCP with 192.168.1.1 as the DHCP host does not work. I always try "ifup eth1" after every change to the configuration... it just says "Determining IP information" for a while, and it results in "failed".

I looked at the connection in Windows. I went to see the IP's that DHCP reports, and wrote them down... In Mandrake, I then tried changing the connection to "static", with all those IP's configured, and the icon in the tray now told me that the network is up. But I was still not able to visit any website (neither with a domain name nor an IP address, so that wasn't a DNS issue).

The firewall is off... I also looked at some threads here and disabled IPv6, to no avail.

:help:

Jere

Hello, and thank you for your reply...

This is the only thing that route outputs:

[root@localhost jere]# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface

And here is /etc/resolv.conf:

# search 168.1.15 168.1.1
# ppp temp entry

I think the problem here is that your OS doesn't know where to route any requests, as noted by the blank route table.

Mine looks like this:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
10.0.0.0        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 eth0
loopback        localhost       255.0.0.0       UG    0      0        0 lo
default         10.0.0.2        0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

Which is set via dhcp. I guess you'll have to add entries yourself if you can't use dhcp, I'll look into adding them but someone who knows what they're doing will hopefully beat me to it!

are you getting issued an IP from the DHCP server?

ifconfig eth0

I'm guessing not, which is why your routing table is blank.

Mandrake (and almost every other OS) uses dynamic table routing. Meaning that when you add a NIC, and therefore add a network, it will dynamically build the routing table for you.

• 4 months later...
Guest hafuch

Hello Jere and all other interested parties:

I have figured out how to get a HomePNA connection working in Mandriva LE 2005 (Mandrake 10.2) by adding to this file:

/etc/modprobe.conf

the following comments:

options eth0 homepna=1

options pcnet32 homepna=1

I then ran the following two commands at the command prompt:

modprobe pcnet32 pcnet32_homepna=1

depmod -a

AFter making these changes, I rebooted the computer and the internet connection worked perfectly!

Please bear in mind that this solution works for my AMD 79C978 model HomePNA/Ethernet card. I assume that it would work with any HomePNA card that Mandriva/Mandrake correctly identifies (as it did with my HomePNA card) and for which it loads the correct driver (pcnet32).

Good luck to anyone else out there who may be experiencing this same problem! It worked for me and I sincerely hope it does for you too!

I am satisfied that - as a newbie - I have contributed at least SOMETHING back to the Linux community!

I am now one happy camper!

Regards,

Stephen