Modem not detected - Urgent

Guest adamsjw2

Guest adamsjw2

Greetings,

I'm a newbie and I can't get my Intel 536ep modem to be detected in Mandrake 9.0 I know it is working, as I have Win2k on the same box. I try configuring it manually it is still isn't working.

Heres the output I get from wvdialconf:

00:0d.0 Communication controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 1040 Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 1000

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10

Memory at ff000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [e0] Power Management version 2

I assume this is for the modem being detected but not recoginzed as a modem. It is configured for COM 3.

I downloaded the linux driver for the modem from Intel, but when I use the 'Make" command as part of the script installation, I get a "can't find directory" errorr.

I'm lost as to what to do next. I need to get this resolved as this box is my only connection to the Internet and my eval copy of Win2k is about to expire.

TIA,

Jim

Guest adamsjw2

Tyme,

Thanks for your quick reply. First of all when I check my hardware config uration in the Control Center there is no modem listed. Then, when I use KPPP to query the modem I receive an error message something like, "MODEM CAN'T Be Found...." I query using every dev that shows up in the kppp device window, with the same response.

I agree that I will probably need to install the driver, or maybe get a different modem that Mandrake 9.0 will recognize.

Jim

Guest adamsjw2

Ral,

Thanks for your quick reply and the url. I dl'ed this driver last night, but Mandrake won't install it. When I get to the make 536ep command I receive and error "can't make or find directory" or something to that effect.

My eval license for Win2k is about to expire and if I don't get this fixed soon I'll be without internet connectivity. So, I'm more than a little anxious.

Any other suggestions welcomed,

Jim

Realize that if this is a winmodem, it's not very likely that any config program is going to recognize it, but it can still work. My conexant hsf isn't recognized by any either, but it works.

When I get to the make 536ep command
Shouldn't that be just

make

???? Did you read the INSTALL file in the extracted driver folder?

Guest adamsjw2

According to the readme.txt and I quote:

Type: make clean

Type: make 536ep

Type: make install

However, I double check to see if there is an Install file and read it. I think that I have the headers installed, would that make a difference with the make command?

TIA,

Jim

i think the readme is in error by telling you to type make 536ep

try just typing:

make

every time i've compiled something from source (what you're doing) that's all that needed to be typed, i believe by adding the 546ep it's trying to look in a directory or for a specific file...i'm not sure though-so give plain old "make" a try, and you also may need to do a:

./configure

before you do the "make".

I found a beta drivers for the Intel 536ep modem here:

http://honestarchina.www80.cn4e.com/englis...ICE/driver.html

and here:

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/Intel/

On the second link there is a driver called: Intel-536ep-453-M90.tgz

I think this is probably the Mandrake 9 driver, but am not sure.

Here is the readme says it supports Mandrake, but the readme appears ot be a generic one (for RH. ML and SuSE) and does not specifically mention ML9.

Guest adamsjw2

ral, I picked up a driver on the Intel site which is supposed to work with RH, Mandrake, SUSE, Debian..... Thanks for the info on this one. I'll get it as well.

Jim

Guest adamsjw2

Ral, et.al.

I'm going to forget this endeavor and buy a hardware modem. I can't install the kernel headers because the distro I have was shipped with 2, #2 CDs. The headers are on CD #3. I bought these off Ebay from Linux Central and needless to say, since they have returned any of my emails, I'm upset.

I guess it is time to buy an "official" copy and support the cause.

Jim

You know.. I am surprised that linux central doesn't give you the whole 3 cds. It should cost around 10 bux at most just to buy the 3 cd download version. At least that's the price in linuxcentral website.

Anyway, you probably just need the kernel-sources rpm. You can just download it from any mandrake mirrors. It could be a bit big in size (around 20-25 megs last time I checked). Of course, if you only have a dialup account, it is preferable to buy the official cds and get it over with :)

adamsjw2,

How much did u pay for these 2 cds ? Anyway, u could still download them from ftp sites like ftp://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/linux/Mandrak...6/Mandrake/RPMS .

Also note that what u need is the kernel-source rpm, not the kernel-headers. kernel-headers is a misnomer and should actually be called glibc-kernel-headers (thats what redhat calls it now after correcting their mistake, but mandrake is one step behind) since its generated from the glibc source tree, not kernel source tree.

Guest adamsjw2

ndeb,

I paid about 12.00 with S/H. I've sent Linux Central numerous emails and they fail to respond. I"m trying to dl the 3rd CD ISO now. Thanks for the info about the correct name of the kernel headers. I also have SUSE 8.1 on this machine and I couldn't find the kernel headers either, apparently they use the correct naming scheme. I can't decide if I like SUSE or Mandrake the best.

As a side note, SUSE doesn't detect the modem either, but I'm still trying, if not becoming a little weary with it all.

Try Cheapbytes in the future. My credit card bounced on an order for Knoppix because it had expired. It had not expired and emailed the expiry date back and the next day got email confirmation that their database was in error and other email saying the orger had been shipped. The only other online vendor I have used is Amazon and like Cheapbytes they dotted all the i's making me a repeat customer for sure.

Just downloading the files you need is a good way out of your dilemma.

Counterspy.