Modem not detected - Urgent

Guest adamsjw2

Guest adamsjw2

To all,

Thanks for your help, I finally have the modem working. Even though I've almost pulled out what little bit of hair I have, this has been a valuable learning experience. What a frustrating, yet rewarding way for a first-time Linux user.

Thanks again.

Jim

Guest BlackSnow
My conexant hsf isn't recognized by any either, but it works.

Could you tell me how you got it working?

I know someone who will be trying to get one of these modems working in the near future.

Would be top notch :)

Sure, just go hereand get the latest applicable hsf or hsc rpm/tar (never done the tar). Install, then open a term and for the hsflinmodem driver type

hsfconfig

Hit Enter at all the prompts, and when the configuator is done it should say "the modem should now be accessible through /dev/modem". It sets up a, emulator if you will, ttySHSF0, which is why kppp, wvdialconf, ect... do not find it. For wvdial, find an example of /etc/wvdial.conf and fill in the correct info. Wvdial is great because it has a setting you can put in /etc/wvdial.conf

stupid mode=yes

Which, if the ISP is "stupid" logs you on really fast. Doesn't work with all ISP's.

[Dialer Defaults]

Modem=/dev/ttySHSF0

Baud=115200

Dial Command=ATDT

Init1=ATZ

#Init3=ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=95 +FCLASS=0

Init2=AT&F E1 Q0 V1 S0=0 S11=95 &C1 &D2

#Init2=ATQ0 V1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=95

Init3=AT+MS=V90

#Init4=ATM0

Init4=ATL0

Phone=*70,5555555

Username=your_user_name

Password=your_password

stupid mode=yes

-Init2 that's #commented out is a generic I got of the net, but it worked.

-Init3 that's #commented out is a combo of the generic and hsf stuff-worked.

-The uncommented Init2, Init3, is the best for me so far. I can usually stay connected all day, if I choose.

-Init4=ATM0, if uncommented will make the modem silent (for when the wife is sleeping) :wink:

-Init4=ATL0 makes the modem volume low (supposedly) but I don't see a diff.

Let me know if you need help or more info.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adamsjw2

bvc,

Will these direction work for the Intel 536ep modem that I have. I hear wvdial is much more stable than KPPP or Kinternet. Is this the case? I have my modem installed and it is recognized as /dev/modem. A ls -l /dev/modem results in

/dev/modem > /dev/536ep.

TIA,

Jim

Absolutely! Well, I don't see why not. In fact with wvdial you might not have to use /dev/modem, but rather /dev/536ep.

Modem=/dev/536ep

It has been better than kppp for me.

I really suggest finding an AT command manual for your modem. It's a pain, but if you have trouble staying connected, that's a pain as well. The S11=95 above is one of the main reasons for a stable conection for me. It made all the diff in the world. I forget now but it has something to do with where you're dialing from and the length of the ring or something. I didn't know what to put...my ISP said 95 was for either the US or my region of the US (I can't remember) and they said it could make a big diff....and it did. I went to the win98 registry and it was something else, so I changed it and now the win98 connection is a lot better (so the wife says :wink: ) Same with AT&F. You'll almost always see AT&F1 or AT&F0 mentioned but these didn't work with my winmodem...it had to be AT&F.

One thing you could try if you have windows is to go into the registry and apply the info that's there. With a USR5610B I copied and pasted into notepad>booted to ML9.0>opened the text file>copied and pasted into /etc/wvdial.conf and it worked great. This is not the case with the conexant though...winmodems suck. I'm not saying that any of this will apply in your case. I'm just saying a little time with AT's could save you a lot of frustration in linux and win.

Have fun :)