Access to new hard disk drives [SOLVED]

Earny

I installed a new (2nd) hard disk. I divided it into two partitions (ntfs and fat32). The files on the existing fat32 partition on the old drive were moved to the new one. In linux I mounted the new partitions, but I cannot acces them anymore as user, but only as root. I tried to change the rights using konqueror as root, however it continues to say that I am not authorized to change read, write etc rights. As user I am not even able to see the files on these partitions. Everytime I want to edit a file in Linux which is located on the new hd, I have to log in as root.

Any idea how to change this?

This is the content of the fstabfile

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/sda1 /mnt/memory_card2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-15,ro 0 0

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/win_c2 ntfs defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb5 /mnt/win_d vfat defaults 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

Thanks in advance

try the following for the vfat partitions

dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850 0 0

umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,exec,users 1 2

/dev/hdb5 /mnt/win_d vfat users,defaults 1 2

p.s.: what kind of harddrive have you added? a sata drive?

try the following for the vfat partitions
dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850 0 0

umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,exec,users 1 2

/dev/hdb5 /mnt/win_d vfat users,defaults 1 2

p.s.: what kind of harddrive have you added? a sata drive?

Do I have to add the first to lines and replace "/dev/hdb5 /mnt/win_d vfat defaults 0 0" by the last line? (I check before I do stupid trhings)

By the way. My hard new drive is a straight forward 200gb western digital 7300 rpm.

I can read it as long as I'm root

Thanks in advance

do not add but replace/modify the above mentioned lines.

My question was not for nothing. I messed up and it was so desastrous that I couldn't even reboot anymore I finally decdied to go for a full reinstall. All problems are solved now (apart of the extra work to install specific applications and configurations).

The moral?

Thre is always a solution

Thanks anyway

even if you "really" mess up your system, you can always run an editor like vi from the console and edit your /etc/fstab manually until the machine work again (or maybe remove the entries temporarily).

even if you "really" mess up your system, you can always run an editor like vi from the console and edit your /etc/fstab manually until the machine work again (or maybe remove the entries temporarily).

Right, but than you will have to boot first. I tried with Knoppix, but I coulnd't find a way to get editing rights for the fstab file.

well, you can boot into the failsafe mode in mandrake and do things from there or you can change those file with knoppix or other live-cds. what you need to do there is first, login as root (in knoppix, in a terminal simply type su) then you need mo mount the drives manually with read/write access and then you can edit the files you want to hack. i admit, this is very complex for a newbie but after getting comfortable with linux, it won't be such a big problem. and finally: there is always help online available (forums, chat,...)

:)