Mac OS X theme

a13x

Has anybody managed to perfectly emulate the Mac OS X theme on Gnome or KDE ? If so can you please tell me where can I get the it ?

I've notived the Aqua and RPanther themes for Gnome -- they aren't enough to recreate the OSX desktop, the OSX icons for KDE and of course the Aqua wallpaper.

I'd like my desktop to look like a OS X one.

In all fairness, no one has perfectly emulated Mac OS X on win even with skin apps like wb and MSS. They cost money. I'd say it's a case where, 'you get what you pay for'? Lets face it, linux devel could advance gtk to be able to do it so why aren't they/why haven't they? If I'm wrong and they can't, then linux needs to consider a better api :P Concerning gnome....if they can't get us a good clipboard and can't fix stock icons in icon themes, what can they do? We still don't have a simple text color configuator for different areas of the desktop and apps...gtk can't do it yet? Tinker with nautilus some more? Two years since nautilus started being reworked and it still isn't any better than gmc in gnome-1.4 :P They work for free...what can we do? Just use it, I guess. :cheesy:

Edited by bvc

mac osx is mac osx and linux is linux. i work with mac osx on a professional basis and tried to emulate it on linux. i came close but it ain't possible to copy all stuff. it is a different gui and you have to take that into account.

good mac-stuff is for kde:

kxdocker bar, baghira-theme, rade8 icons

for gnome:

milk 2.1, gdesklets, aqua extreme sunken or rpanther themes plus the appropriate mac-icons ported to gnome on e.g. gnome-look.org or art.gnome.org

but if you really want the osx feel, buy a mac :P

In all fairness, no one has perfectly emulated Mac OS X on win even with skin apps like wb and MSS. They cost money. I'd say it's a case where, 'you get what you pay for'? Lets face it, linux devel could advance gtk to be able to do it so why aren't they/why haven't they? If I'm wrong and they can't, then linux needs to consider a better api tongue.gif Concerning gnome....if they can't get us a good clipboard and can't fix stock icons in icon themes, what can they do? We still don't have a simple text color configuator for different areas of the desktop and apps...gtk can't do it yet? Tinker with nautilus some more? Two years since nautilus started being reworked and it still isn't any better than gmc in gnome-1.4 tongue.gif They work for free...what can we do? Just use it, I guess. 04.gif

That's what I feel. They advance too slow, way to slow. I see no difference between versions 2.4 and 2.9 - nothing noticeable. Maybe some tiny bugfixes and thats it.

Oh and one more thing. I officialy declare that I hate their stupid menu structure.

but if you really want the osx feel, buy a mac tongue.gif

I had that in my mind too, but it's not worth the effort. The first advantage for Linux is that there is more software available for it than for OSX. And besides I can't run winblows on a G5. I'm not a hardcore gamer but there are some games I like to play and not all can be emulated with Cedega.

I'll download and check the stuff you pointed out.

edit;

Man, that's great stuff, thx. :D

Edited by a13x

Man, that's great stuff, thx.

:)

about macs: they are primarily a work-station, not something for gaming. so do not expect to find many games for a g5. what you will find for macs are dozens of wonderful video and graphic-utilities. but if you are not a professional designer or movie maker, it is not really a wise solution to buy a mac imho. so, better stick with linux. and: you can even modify something like fvwm to behave and look like mac. it only needs "some" work (this is a very flexible term ;)) on the config files.

I know a lot of people that are not designers that use macs. They do work in the graphics industry but they themselves only need an OS/internet/office. They just don't game. It's just plain smarter and better than win in every way except games. Plain and simple.

I know a lot of people that are not designers that use macs. They do work in the graphics industry but they themselves only need an OS/internet/office. They just don't game. It's just plain smarter and better than win in every way except games. Plain and simple.

agreed. journalists also use macs in most cases and most of them don't do any "design" stuff. :)

geforce 4/2.5 GHz processor

so no ;-)

If you drag a window round really quickly the screen doesn't get refreshed and you get ghosts of the window left behind for a few milliseconds. Seems to happen a lot more in pixmap themes.

Thats not annoying in itself, but its the most obvious (to me) manifestation of the slow 'feeling' using a pixmap theme gives me.