Hello To Mandrake, Goodbye to Windows?

Drake

Heya,

partly to introduce myself, and partly to tell you what my plan is.

Im a 33 english man from errr.....england :-) a part time games designer and full time (way too many hours) admin manager.

ive been making games using win o/s for over 6 years now, which includes browser based games, muds, and visual basic 2d mmorpgs

my aim is to use one of my networked machines (i have several) with a linux o/s on (windows one is there as a backup if needed) - mandrake 10.1

took 9 hours to download the 3 iso's and then when i went to burn them kinda messed up disk 1 lol - other 2 disks are burned nicely and now have to wait for disc 1 to redownload (was corrupted by my own hands lol) - 60% downloaded.

ive had mandrake 9 on a machine before and found it real easy to install and manage. it will be cool to see the improvements 10.1 has

my aim is to convert all my games to linux, wont be easy and will take awhile. obviously i cant convert my vbasic mmorpg but thats hosted elsewhere anyway.

converting my asp browser games to php shouldnt be too bad (dont want to mess with asp chillesoft nor can i spare the cash on that).

anyway i hope to be a regular here (thought the name Drake would be taken but im happy to have that) and cya around :P

Wellcome Drake!

IMO, a lot of your games could already work in Wine. You might want to check that out. Of course, native stuff is always better.

If you mean Mandrake 9.0 with Mandrake 9, then you will see Mdk10.1 has improved by leaps and bounds.

Anyway, welcome. I hope you will enjoy it here.

:thanks:

um disc one is only downloading at 14.9kbps :( and i have a 1meg connection

ah well will be worth waiting for. already got my thoughts on getting samba running so i can network over to my other comps (windows)

in regard to wine, does it give an enviroment so some windows stuff run on it? or does it convert?

Edited by Drake

For more information see http://www.winehq.com/

From the homepage:

Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X and Unix.

Think of Wine as a Windows compatibility layer. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely alternative implementation consisting of 100% Microsoft-free code, but it can optionally use native system DLLs if they are available.

Wine provides both a development toolkit (Winelib) for porting Windows sources to Unix and a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows binaries to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris.

Another thing to know: there actually is a port of VB to linux, I don't know its stability or completeness, but it's there, I think at sourceforge.net.

Hi Adrian, i certainly will look into that. Never heard of it myself, but worth looking into.

installing mandrake 10.1 as we speak and as expected going smoothly, im installing all the server software and will simply remove any i dont use later.

w00t disk 2 just went in, can you feel the excitement!! :banana:

TIP : btw guys when i downloaded the cd's and had to burn the iso's to 3 disks i didnt have a cd burner handy and had to trawl looking for a free one (i do pay for some things but if it can be free why not :P ) and came across deepburner from http://www.deepburner.com which is free for personal use. Its great cos its soooooooooooooo easy. Simply pop the blank cd in the cdrw, run the program select burn iso from the prompt, select the file you want to burn the OK! its cool, alot of other burners arnt so simple to the newbie. just thought id share that in my mandrake experience :thumbs:

w00t disk 3 just went in :banana:

Edited by Drake

Dead right. You'll probably be due another 500MB or so of updates, so get it out of the way.

http://urpmi-addmedia.org/ will get you set up.

Once you've executed the lines it gives you, do these

# urpmi.update -a (this should have already been done though)

# urpmi --auto-select

If there are any errors of files not being found on the server, go back to easyurpmi and choose a different site. Lately it seems some mirrors have an up-to-date update list, but don't have the files to update. Make any sense? No, me neither...

EDIT! Changed the address for EasyURPMI in light of late-breaking news! What's up there is right for the time being...!

Edited by Havin_it

hm well u know ive installed mandrake 10.1 but.......this mandrake updates applets puts all the updates on with no cost to myself?

i might pay for a years subscription at mandrakeonline.net if it is beneficial or even required?

isnt the updates this updates applet doing the same as http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ ? or additional to?

I think - jump in here anyone if I'm wrong - Mandrakeonline is similar to Windows Update: priviledged, managed, user-friendly access to all the latest updates approved by Mandrakesoft, including third-party proprietary stuff that you'd get with a Powerpack box-set but not with the download version.

Yes, it is a paid service but it's not compulsory or expected. You can keep your OS updated without it, there's just more manual work involved - and that's where EasyURPMI comes in. It gives you the list of active FTP mirrors, from which you can download the whole OS and updates, and generates the commands for you to issue so you can setup the URPMI program (whose graphical front-end is found in the Mandrake Control Center) to get what you need.

If you've already set up an FTP source in Control Center, and it all works, there's no need to do it again. You should have, besides your CDs, these sources:

main

updates

contrib

[and, optionally...]

plf

jpackage

That's where EasyURPMI comes in. It makes it simple to configure all these sources in one place.

thanks for the feedback, ive weighed things up and decided to go for the fully paid up member (whats £12.50 anyway), for various reasons. One being its easier :-) and numerous other reasons including the respect i have for linux developers.

yep done all that, several times but no updates_sources created, i have no idea what to do now and my faith in mdk is dwindling :( :help:

Edited by Drake