Gnome Update

Guest Labonte

Going back to 2.8.2 is hardly a degrade. 2.9 ARE DEVELOPMENTAL

They are buggy, they will break, heck it doesnt even start on my machine.

Keep 2.8.2, dont update unless you're a) suicidal n cuttin edge like me, B) a developer c) you're willin to take the chance

iphitus

NO. BAD BVC. DO NOT recommend Cooker as an update source for stable Mandrake. THIS IS NOT WHAT COOKER IS. Running Cooker packages on stable releases of Mandrake is NOT supported or tested and WILL almost certainly break your system. Currently this is especially true because Cooker has had ABI-incompatible updates to perl and python since 10.1 was finished. Besides, even if the Cooker packages function perfectly, Cooker itself is unstable. That's the point of Cooker.

As someone has mentioned, GNOME 2.9 is the unstable development branch and it's still quite early in development. You shouldn't use it day-to-day. GNOME development is done like the kernel - odd is development, even is stable - and there's no 2.10 yet, so 2.6 is really only one version out of date (2.8 is the only stable release since then). The 2.6 in Mandrake 10.1 is very, very good and it's not a good idea to update it unless there's something you honestly *need* in GNOME 2.8. Check the changelogs at gnome.org. If there's something in 2.8 you honestly, genuinely can't live without (i'd be amazed if there is, it wasn't a huge update...), use Goetz Waschk's packages. It's the least-bad option for getting a newer GNOME into Mandrake 10.1, as they're a *stable* release (2.8) and they're actually built against 10.1, not Cooker. Those are here:

http://wwwra.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~wa.../gnome2.7/RPMS/

Edited by adamw

:screwy:

let me get this straight....

cooker bad

gnome devel better?

:screwy:

I've used both, and cooker is a rock compared to those hacked/crap rpms. Labonte wants anything but 2.6, but I'd bet Labonte would like it to be workable. Cooker is the way to go. No doubt about that. I realize they will install on stable mandrake and cooker is cooker. Anyone willing to try gnome devel is willing to deal with a few issues, though I haven't had any with cooker in 6 months. If it doesn't break, you can't learn HOWTO. So break it. Go ahead. Have fun!

NO. BAD ADAMW. DO NOT recommend hacked crap as an update source for stable Mandrake.

oh....just look at the threads related to the crap these hacked/crp rpms cause.

Edited by bvc

I agree with BVC. Cooker is not bad. I sync my packages with the Cooker ones almost every night and my Linux is still running fine. Of course there are a little annoying things but I can live with them .... and hopefully fix them.

As you may have noticed I'm forcing things so I can learn Linux faster. The only way to learn is to break your system. Fortunately I was never forced to reinstall Linux although there have been some times when I thought it was inevitable. MDK has proven itself very resistant. Don't forget I always do things as root ! :cheeky:

I had to break my system a LOT of times to learn Windows. So far has proven to me that even running it as root, experimenting, you can't break it so easy.

NO. BAD BVC. DO NOT recommend Cooker as an update source for stable Mandrake. THIS IS NOT WHAT COOKER IS. Running Cooker packages on stable releases of Mandrake is NOT supported or tested and WILL almost certainly break your system. Currently this is especially true because Cooker has had ABI-incompatible updates to perl and python since 10.1 was finished. Besides, even if the Cooker packages function perfectly, Cooker itself is unstable. That's the point of Cooker.

http://wwwra.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~wa.../gnome2.7/RPMS/

Python's update is not ABI-incompatible. it sustains backwards compatability.

Either one is not cruicial to the system, some things might not work, but the system will still run.

iphitus: you could have fooled me; every Cooker package which used python was rebuilt 'for new python' after it was updated.

a13x - I'm not surprised; you're doing things right. That's how Cooker is supposed to be used - you update your entire system to it, not one little piece. You'll still have more problems than someone running 10.1 because, hey, Cooker is unstable, but you're at least using Cooker the way Cooker is supposed to be used.

Goetz is not actually the MDK GNOME maintainer - that's Frederic Crozat - but he's an experienced contributor who builds many packages in both MDK main and contrib. His 2.7 RPMs formed the basis for the 2.8 RPMs that went into Cooker after 10.1 was finished.

bvc: I did *not* recommend GNOME development. In fact, I specifically said *not* to use the 2.9 packages. I suggested to use Goetz's 2.8 packages built on 10.1, which as I said are the least-bad option for updating GNOME in MDK 10.1. 2.8 is a *stable* release. (don't be fooled by the 2.7 in the directory name, the packages are actually 2.8).