Basic Nic Setup, & connecting to internet

dumbdude

Installed Mandrake 10 yesterday. Have been windowing all mah life :o

Firstly the lancard setup, im using realtek8139.

Ive been given ip 10.71.28.35 by my isp, ive put it thru the kde contol panel connection , eth0 , & i can ping myself but cant ping anyone else on the lan.

my ipdetails in windows are

10.71.28.35 /255.255.255.192

gateway 10.71.28.1

Now the internet part.

In windows ive been asked by my isp to install raspppoe. There is a ppp connectoin dialer in kde which i guess can be used for this purpose.

However the problem is there are 2 raspppoe connections availabe on my lan (ie 2 internet service providers whom one can dial into) & i have to use just one of the isps .

In windows land , what i did was, punch in raspppoe into run box , a box would pop up ..showing the 2 available connections, i would select the one of them which i use , punch in the username & password & connect to it .

werll although I'm not gonna be that much help, I'll point you in a direction (hopefully the right one :) )

A quick scan through my packages and I've found rppppoek

*  net-dialup/rppppoek

Latest version available: 0.33

Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]

Size of downloaded files: 661 kB

Homepage:    http://segfaultskde.berlios.de/index.php?content=rppppoek

Description: KDE panel applet for managing RP-PPPoE

License:    GPL-2

I'm not sure whether this will help you .. but it may be worth visiting the site, and installing it anyways.

Might wanna wait until someone else confirms that there is a mandrake friendly (read: Mandy RPM) version

P.

thanks a lot paul, i did google up roaringpenguin earler too ( and i need loads of help with installing as i said i was ain win :( user til date)

http://www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/open_source_rp-pppoe.php

& the installation guide (more than a bit intimidating)

http://www.linuxathome.net/pppoe.php

But, the more important problem is of me unable to ping anyone in the network except myself & no one able to ping me. Its like im not on the network :o , Im sure im missing something in the netowrk configuration part otherwise being able to ping another machine is but normal. I belive if this is solved , i can start workin on howto configure the pppoe thing.

Edited by dumbdude

your ISP will be blocking you at thier firewall.

until you successfully authenticate with thier system you are basically not on the network.

that's what ppp-oe is all about ;)

(Point-To-Point-Over-Ethernet) ppp-oe is designed to allow people to physically connect to a network, but not have any connectivity until they authenticate against (probably) a radius server.

firstly have you searched through the package manager (in Mandrake Control Center --> Packages -->install) for rppppoek ?

I only have Mandrake installed on my laptop (which is at work .. preventing me from working from home :) ) .. but I can check in the morning.

P.

thx for the help again paul.

i belive i need to explain things a little more.

I agree that i need to authenticate with the isp , but that is only after i configuer & connect to their sytem using the rppoe dialer.

I need to have a certain IP/SUBNET (10.71.28.35 /255.255.255.192) on my lan card in order to connect to theri server using the raspppoe dialer , Hence , in mandrake linux as well i need to have this ip up & running. IF my mandrake linux bos has "properly" taken this ip then i should be able to ping the rest of the machines on lan.

ive did it!!

maybe im not so dumb after all :cheeky:

what i did is

local network browsing - configure your desktop

Lisa Daemon , suggested settings.

It changed my ip to the correct one.

Then i went to shell & ping another machine & it did ping :cheesy:

Now for the pppoe part.

configure your computer > network & internt > new connection > punched in the usename & password. ssaved settings

back to monitor connections , clicked on connect button..& wallah i was connected.

2 things still need to be sorted out.

1> How to create a shortcut to desktop for the ppp dial .( :mr-green: , yeah im sinn in mocosoft land)

2> As i had explained earlier there are 2 pppoes available on my network , i am connected to one of them. However how can i see which pppoes are avail on my lan ?

PS: this wa steh first site i check out from the mandrake machine, typed all this using konquere web browser. Yeah it looks a lot different all right , but aint bad.. aint bad at all

:( everything suddenly stooped workin ...

windows xp again ...

googled some more...

http://www.dur.ac.uk/klaus-michael.aye/mandrake.html
Mandrake 10.0
I want to quickly summarize my experience here of upgrading my OS from Mandrake 9.1 to 10.0 on a Compal ACL10 laptop. 

All in all I am impressed. I tried the "Upgrade" option several times at earlier stages of Mandrake-live, but it always froze during installation. But as I am a lazy person, I tried it again this time and it worked almost flawlessly. And this litte flaw is the reason I write this down, because I believe it could be a very frequent situation. 

My laptop has a Realtek 8139 network card which worked fine in 9.1. After the upgrade it was still configured fine, ifconfig looked normal (apart from that new line mentioning IPv6), but I couldn't get a ping out. 

Network was configured fine as I could ping localhost, but even an IP-directed ping to the gateway of my office network did not work. 

So I searched the web and found lots of apparent problems with the Realtek driver 8139too and the new kernel 2.6.x used by Mandrake. I write apparent, because I cannot judge, if they were or are real, as my problem vanished magically with the following little change in lilo.conf. It seems that, at least for the current Mandrake 10.0 kernel 2.6.3 it all comes down to ACPI problems/setup. 

The Upgrade had changed my entries in lilo.conf concerning ACPI from 

APM=off ACPI=on
to 

APM=off ACPI=ht
As I knew, my laptop can do ACPI, I changed that back to ACPI=on 

and after that, the network card worked as usual. It had good download speeds for all the updates, so I cannot confirm slow speeds like some people have with a Realtek card using kernel 2.6.x, but maybe this is only related to earlier kernels. 

I hope that this prevents some people from trying all kinds of other things like weird modules.conf options or recompilations of old 8139too driver versions. 

(Keywords: Mandrake 10, NETDEV WATCHDOG transmit timed out, kernel 2.6.3) 

Author: K.-Michael Aye. Content management via AsciiDoc. Last updated 22-Oct-2004 07:34:36 BST

Will Give this a shot!! & update you guys here

apic was already on i guess.

somewher on this forum i read that one guy was able to solve the problem by mcc> system config> boot> bootloader m, force apic off.

and i that too, didnt work for me.

another thing just hit me. while i was shutting down mandrake.. .. it sawyed eth0 100mbps blah bhal blah shutting down [ok]

& my network is a 10mbps one, in windows xp too ..ive set the lan card to 10mbps , how do i set it in linux :o ..i dont remember seeing a setting for that .

yes.. .. how do i set it to half duplex .. ive read somewhere on this forum ..that it automatically should detect whether is 10 or 100..but mine didt ..i guess

:wall:

btw.. i installed ethtool , i read somewhere on this froum that it will help change the settings to halfduplex... can anyone tell me how.. the man page isnt very noob freindly

Edited by dumbdude

wonders never cease

i got this to work again & successfully connect to the net using ppp .

(again on konquerer ;) )

what i did was set it to halfduplex

#ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex half autoneg off

PS. i tried using cmd without autoneg off & it didnt set it to 10

btw, to chk it #ethtool eth0

Good enough for a noob nah .. especially if ones nick is dumbdude :D

hehehe... you solved the problem faster than most other users. i hope your connection remains stable. if not, post your problems again. this is what we are here for. ;)

:cheesy:

i went back to my work as usual & then came back to mandrake , , & it was :unsure: not working again,, couldnt ping anyone else.. etc etc..

did the eth0 thing again... & found that the nic is again set itself to 100mbps :angry:

so typed in the darn commnad again ( :mr-green: .. well actually it was in memory ..i had to just push the up key twice) , but then again.. is there are permanent way to set the nic to 10mbps half duplex.

is the some faster way of connecting ppp0e , faster in the sense.. what i do now is system>config>config ure comp> enter root passwd> network>monitor connections>connect

can i have a short cut on desktop or something put up in the applications that can dial pppoe

[edit Qchem - merged posts]Additional info...

mcc>hardware>hardware ethernetcard > configure module ,

here you can see full duplex & there is a blank space, what should i put in here to make it half duplex ?

also . i currently connect ppp by mcc> network & internt> monitor connections>connect

Is there some easier/faster way

Restarted & the lancard has set itself to 10mbps halfduplex now. :o ,im haapy

ok , i started adsl at boot from mcc> system services ticked on boot so that problem is solved.

however quereing which ppp services are available on my lan is still unsolved. will appreciate any help on this.