soundblaster live [solved]

oms

Just reinstalled mandrake. The sound wasn't working before, but now the sound only works in xmms.

When i try to run any other program, say totem, mplayer or xine i get a one second burst of sound which then repeats into oblivion, after about ten seconds the program that i'm running then crashes aswell.

In progs such as kscd there is no sound.

Is this a plugin problem or something else?

thanks in advance.

Can't find the sound and multimedia in the control centre, it's mandrake 10 so do you mean i should look in system -> services. Anyway I can't see arts there either.

Seemingly ALSA isn't running either, when i try to start it i get the message "ALSA driver isn't running." I also can't load up alsamixer from the command line. I get the error message "alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory"

If these are the problems what is the cure? I don't think that they are the whole problem though, as ALSA was running before and i still had the same problems.

Arts is a sound mixer. It's a kde program. You can control in from the kde control center. The fact that you don't have alsa running means you use oss. (or when you say that xmms works you mean that you can play a CD? That doesn't say anything about 'sound'on your computer)

So if you can play an mp3 with xmms sound is setup correctly and it's probably a problem with some application. If you can't play an mp3 you need to setup sound correctly. Go to the Mandrake control center->hardware_>hardware->soundcard (close all sound apps including kmix is the systray) and click config. Choose the modele starting with sndxxxxxx. That's the alsa module. Then go to mcc->system-> services and check if alsa is running by start/stopping it.

That should do it. Good luck.

I found the sound driver snd-emu10k1. ALSA now runs but mp3s no longer play and i have the same problem playing movies in totem.

I guess the old configuration will work for MP3s but not watching movies really bites. Any further help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

If you don't get any errors configuring alsa and playing an mp3 the problem is probably that some channels are muted. Open a console and type: alsamixer. Start playing and mp3 then make sure none of the channels is muted (pressing m mutes/unmutes). When you get sound adjust the settings to your liking.

XMMS is the only program to work with sound. Any other programs which use sound crash as described in my first post.

If you're tiring of answering I'll simply try another distro or make do without movies (or revert to using windows).

Again, thanks for your help.

I'm still confused by arts. I can't find it anywhere in Mandrake Control Centre.

Mplayer wouldn't install so i installed xine instead. This does not give any errors, as stated, the first second of sound repeats indefinately, and ten seconds into the video xine crashes (it crashes instantly when i try to play an mp3).

Apologies for the delay, with or without arts enabled i have problems with my sound card.

slax seems to run my soundcard well, it even plays movies. Any further help would be appreciated. I'm downloading Fedora to see whether that will work but eternity in gnome isn't my idea of heaven.

I can't find a way of generating an error message so i can't offer any help in that area.

Thanks again.

I might jump in here aswell.

I have a soundblaster Live and 8 times out of 10 the sound is set to mute when booted?

It also says it can't find a sound card on boot but once KDE is up and running it correctly says I have a sound blaster.

Any ideas?