GeeXBoX

AussieJohn

I have a small but extremely annoying problem.

As the result of reading an article in LinuxWorld about GeeXBoX, I went ahead and downloaded the iso and burnt it to CDROM. All fine so far. Booted with it and investigated its use a little. It is supposed to be a semi live disk in that when it has set itself up the disk automatically ejects so that you can use Music CDs or DVDs or other discs with multimedia on it. When you then Quit the program it is supposed to clear everything. So in effect the result is meant to be like a live CD.

Well the problem is that it does not clear itself but in fact changes something somewhere such that it makes changes as per the following whenever I open Konsole :-

[john@geexbox john]$

(It is normally john@dethermy and dethermy appears correctly in every place that I know of.)(it is made from the names of my two daughters and granddaughter)

And it creates two hidden files, one in normal case and the second one in italics but identical in their content as shown below :-

local/geexbox.vic.bigpond.net.au:/tmp/.ICE-unix/dcop12650-1101840645

The file appears as shown :-file:/home/john/.DCOPserver_geexbox.vic.bigpond.net.au__0

The same appears in root also and even though I emptied the root and account Temp folders and deleted all 4 of the /.DCOPserver...... files I find that I now cannot start most programs until I reboot. Then I find the damned files are back again.

Two points.

1. Can anyone help point me where the troublesome data might be so that I can get back to normal.

2. Please don't get caught with this one unless you are prepared to go to the same trouble I have been through.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks in anticipation. JOHN>

Edited by AussieJohn

Thanks to everyone for the overwhelming offers of help, suggestions, Phone calls, emails, letters, cash, transport and cheap air fares, in trying to help me fix this annoying problem that I experienced.

I should also mention that I have fixed it myself.

Cheers. John.

uh... sorry, john. i have been ill the last week, so i am completely innocent. :angel:

but anyway, i would like to hear how you fixed it.

local/geexbox.vic.bigpond.net.au:/tmp/.ICE-unix/dcop12650-1101840645

The file appears as shown :-file:/home/john/.DCOPserver_geexbox.vic.bigpond.net.au__0

couldn't these files be removed as root? that would be very strange imho.

Devries you are a saviour. Such confidence in me. :D

I thought I had been sent to coventry ( not the UK place ) or my posts had somehow become invisible to other than myself.

I have just noticed how many of my posts are last posts on threads, so I guess most of them have reached the "no longer interested in the thread" phase by then. Maybe that is symptomatic of something, I don't know what.

I will still keep plodding on never the less, perhaps some of it might still help someone.

Cheers. John.

Thanks Arctic.

Glad I've got another mate among the many I already have here at MUB.

Cheers.                    John.

It means you are now an expert asking more difficult questions :D that we can't fire an easy anwser back too-

Congratualtions on benig an expert now ...

(its also possibly the subject, its hard to know without trying GeeXBox)

I realise you answered mine tho.... so thx ... but now youre more experienced it might seem like the questions are not any more complex but Im sure if you look back at your earliest posts you'll realise how much you have learned (I sure do) ..

p.s. Remember to post the answer, even if you had to solve it yourself ...

Thanks everyone for your reassurances. Greatly appreciated.

Actually there was no big trick. I just had to go through everything in /home/john including hidden files and apart from the ones I had already mentioned, I found more in temp but more importantly in .kde. That is why these earlier deleted files were regenerated. Once I got rid of that and the regenerated ones and rebooted then things were back to normal again.

What really galls me about all this is that the program is supposed to run from the CD and all it was supposed to do was read the files on the partitions where you had Multimedia data such as music, graphics, photos, etc. That being the case then there should be absolutely NO reason to write anything, even temporarily, to the Hard drive (namely the OS or partitions).

I certainly won't be bothering with the program again so I am not going waste further time to pursue this with the GeeXBoX crowd.

Cheers. John.

Thanks everyone for your reassurances. Greatly appreciated. 

Actually there was no big trick.  I just had to go through everything in /home/john including hidden files and apart from the ones I had already mentioned, I found more in temp but more importantly in .kde.  That is why these earlier deleted files were regenerated. Once I got rid of that and the regenerated ones and rebooted then things were back to normal again.

What really galls me about all this is that the program is supposed to run from the CD and all it was supposed to do was read the files on the partitions where you had Multimedia data such as music, graphics, photos, etc. That being the case then there should be absolutely NO reason to write anything, even temporarily, to the Hard drive (namely the OS or partitions).

I certainly won't be bothering with the program again so I am not going waste further time to pursue this with the GeeXBoX crowd. 

Cheers.                                John.

Yep thats poor showing...

Imagine you were showing someone else the app and you end up half messing up their PC .. I know it was easy to undo but sometimes people panick and would have lost everything...

i wonder if it is maybe a coding error. as geexbox is supposed to be working like a "live-cd", it should not be able to write anything on your box. somewhere they must have made an error with the intended read-only mounting of partitions. maybe they will solve this problem in their next version. who knows?

that the stuff was in your /.kde folder is even more annoying as no "normal" user will think of the possibility that you kde-config-files get borked. :wacko:

Thanks Arctic.

Glad I've got another mate among the many I already have here at MUB.

Cheers. John.

:beer: