KDE 3.1 RC6 is out

arriagga

Question:

If I want to upgrade to 3.1rc6, I know I probably should be out of X when I try to upgrade. I also know that I should delete the ~/.kde and ~/.kde2 directories. That is what I'm not sure how to do. Could someone give me the steps on how to do it?

Guest dahvaio

For me I just downloaded the packages and urpmi in a console. With KDE3.1RC5 I installed the packages within KDE and just for a change of pace I installed the KDE3.1RC6 within Gnome... Didn't notice any difference...

Why do you have a ~/.kde2 directory? However, don't delete the ~/.kde

It seems like the ~/.kde2 dir appeared after I upgraded Open Office.org. That's just my guess since the only thing in that folder is Icons for OO.

I seem to remember seeing a post for deleting the ~/.kde and ~/.kde2 directories when upgrading to rc5. I could be wrong, but I don't want to mess this up since this is the first time I have done anything like this.

Do I have to download all the files? Can I urpmi it from the command prompt and have it work without downloading the files? I was just curious.

I also know that I should delete the ~/.kde and ~/.kde2 directories. That is what I'm not sure how to do. Could someone give me the steps on how to do it?

It all depends on what the default KDEHOME is set to for the particular version of KDE. In my case, its ~/.kde (as set by the startkde script). If KDEHOME matches with ur existing .kde (or .kde2) it will simply load the settings stored in that directory. If u want to get rid of ur past KDE settings then u should delete all .kde* files and directories, not otherwise.

Do I have to download all the files? Can I urpmi it from the command prompt and have it work without downloading the files? I was just curious.
U must download the files to upgrade. I guess what u are asking is whether u should download the files and then run urpmi or run urpmi such that urpmi itself downloads the rpms. U could use either method. But letting urpmi do the download may be easier since urpmi will automatically download all and only relevant rpms.

I think the RC6 files are here: 

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...ndrake/9.0/KDE/ 

There is a mix of RC5 and RC6

The mix is probably because the rpms are still being upgraded. At least http://www.kde.org/info/3.1.html clearly mentions kdemultimedia-3.1rc6

(even though texstar only has kdemultimedia-3.1rc5 currently).

Any idea if installing all these rpms enables anti-aliased fonts in KDE (for example, konqueror) ? The last time I had decent out of the box anti-aliased fonts was in KDE-2.2.2 (mandrake-8.2).

Ok I installed it over my kde 3.1 RC5. Seems stable enough.. I need to recopy all my screensavers desktop files from /usr/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers/

to /usr/share/applnk-mdk/.hidden/ScreenSavers/ and

~/.kde/share/applnk-mdk/.hidden/ScreenSavers/

to regain my lost screensaver listing. Everything is still antialiased, the quirk in the konqueror file manager about the list mode still acts as links instead of icons (making it hard to select multiple files / directories in list mode) still in there, white mouse cursor works, I don't have to rebuild my .kde directory since the old one from rc5 still works fine, etc etc etc..

Anyway, I installed the texstar version.. YMMV.

It seems like the fonts are getting better everytime I install the next release. Just did rc6 from texstar and the fonts are looking better without any jazz on my part. Or is it my imagination?