Sound Card boots muted

YaAqoB

Hello all. I have Mandrake 10.1 and every time I boot it resets my Sound mixer settings so basically every restart I have to unmute, change the bass and treble etc etc. :wall:

Does anyone know whay this would be happening?

My sound card is a Sound Blaster Live!

Cheers

Hi again.

I found this fault among a log.

localhost sound: Loading sound module (snd-emu10k1) succeeded

localhost alsactl: /usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1139:

localhost alsactl: No soundcards found...

localhost sound: Loading mixer settings failed

Any ideas?

did you run;

alsactl store

?

you might have to specify the card. I forgot how :unsure:

look in /proc/asound/ with ls

ls /proc/asound/

I have card0

alsactl store card0

alsactl card0 store

or something like that. It's on the forum....somewhere. Or someone will show up to tell ya.

/bvc's getting rusty :unsure:

Edited by bvc

I have tried all above but still no luck, still won't see the card during boot up or load my mixer settings. Still mute on restart. :wall:

Although I'm not sure if I did the /proc/asound thing correctly. I went:

alsactl store Live

ANy more help would be appreciated. :help:

Thanks

If you just run 'alsactl restore' as root after a reboot it will probably restore your good settings. I have the same problem currently on one of my machines, the alsactl restore run during boot fails for some reason. I think it's called too fast, or something. If you call it manually after booting it works fine. It also started working for me while I was twiddling with kernel boot options and BIOS settings last night in a vain attempt to make prism54 work, but I didn't take a note of which particular settings made it work, unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dreamtheater

I had the same problem with my SBLive.

I don't know why this doesn't work properly at bootup anymore with Mandrake 10.1 (since it worked perfectly with 10.0).

Anyway - I resolved this annoyance by adding the line

/usr/sbin/alsactl restore

to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.

I also changed the group owning the file /usr/sbin/alsactl from root to audio and added myself to the audio group (I don't know if this procedure was really necessary...)

This doesn't resolve the 'no soundcard found' error at bootup though, which is a bit annoying still...

I hope this works for you.

Edited by dreamtheater

• 4 weeks later...
Guest littleoak

I have the same problem with mdk10.1 and snd-intel8x0. After reboot and login i will restore it manually by "alsactl restore". When I run ./snddevices script bundled with ALSA then run /etc/idit.d/alsa script with start param everything is OK. this script is usable for non udev or devFS system. Isn't problem there?

Ondra

After to compile the 2.6.10-1mdk kernel for me, I started to see this but only sometimes.

When the error occurs, if I do as root

#alsactl restore

I see a error at some line controls.

So I did a

#rm /etc/asound.state

and

#alsactl store

to create a new asound.state file.

Done, if I do a alsactl restore now no error occur, in the boot will be the same.

ps. Befor to do a store, configure the sound as you wish with kmix or something so you will store this configs.

No need to go back to MDK10.0 only a little of patience needed. :D

After to compile the 2.6.10-1mdk kernel for me, I started to see this but only sometimes.

When the error occurs, if I do as root

#alsactl restore

I see a error at some line controls.

So I did a

#rm /etc/asound.state

and

#alsactl store

to create a new asound.state file.

Done, if I do a alsactl restore now no error occur, in the boot will be the same.

ps. Befor to do a store, configure the sound as you wish with kmix or something so you will store this configs.

No need to go back to MDK10.0 only a little of patience needed.  :D

I don't think you had the exact same problem the rest of us are having now. I've never gotten an error from alsactl restore.

I've deleted my asound.state file and stored properly configured values about 8 times now. about 9 out of every 10 reboots I still get the 1139 error, but can still get my SB Live! working again by using 'alsactl restore 0' (or manually unmuting/adjusting the card).

If I compile SB Live! support directly in the kernel, I never have to see the error. BUT, I also get no /dev/dsp device or any other apparent way to access my microphone. :(

-J

• 2 months later...
Guest vladb

i'm experiencing the same problem too here, using a 10.1,

my soundcard is detected normally using ALSA's snd-intel8x0 and has to be manually restored using 'alsactl restore' after booting to unmute it !

the same error log,

/usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1139: No soundards found.. in /var/log/messages

checked the /etc/init.d/sound script,

in function start_mixer()

{

if [ -d /proc/asound ] ....

}

i think that's the reason why alsactl can't find it's soundcard at boot-time (no /proc/asound), funny though, because the driver is loaded perfectly.

i tried putting 'alsactl restore' at 'rc.local' but no luck, it still spits out the dreaded 'no soundcards found' !!

*sigh*

any enlightenment perhaps ?