Internet Problems help

biga2710

hey guys im a noob to linux i have mandrake 9.1 installed i cant get online. Ok so i read the faqs and searching things that would pertain to me but i got nothing i tried nothing worked.

SO i have the rlt8139 driver it recongizes it it says its connected but no inet.

ok so i have a linksys router connected to my cable modem and my comp is connecrted to the router.

i tried to do dhcp like my windows comps to see if it would do it auto no luck

so then i tried the static ip i gave it 192.168.1.100, and so on with the default gateway.

i try to ping anything it times out, i got to ping myself that worked good and fast i tried to ping the router times out and i try to ping yahoo and other pages no luck

Who ever helps me fix this problem ill paypal them 15 buck i have money and deseperate to make this work thanks guys. i did read the pinned info didnt help or im slow

Mode Note:phunni edited title

hi there :)

you say, you are using a router. if you are connected to a router via a ethernet-card, you do not need a static ip most times. usually, routers use dynamic ip's (dhcp). go to your internet-settings (e.g. from networking tool or via text editor (/etc/sysconfig/networkscripts/ifcfg-eth0)) and change your ip settings from static to dhcp. restart your network after that. does it work then? if no, please open a terminal, log in as root (type su, then root password) and post the contents of:

ifup eth0

ifconfig

iptables -nvL

good luck. :thumbs:

ps: we do not work for money in here. we are not microsoft-like. :P

Edited by arctic

ya i hate ms also im pro at it but linux is where its at but im a complete retard when it comes to that. Im spending hours on hours trying to read and learn it.

ok so i had it on dynamic and i checked the ip the router wasnt giving it one, also i couldnt ping the router which is problbaly the problem, ok ill get u the info u requested im so excited to jump into the open source era and make others join

here we go:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:A6:03:CB:2E

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:100

RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

Interrupt:19 Base address:0xc800

eth0:9 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:A6:03:CB:2E

inet addr:169.254.244.240 Bcast:169.254.255.255 Mask:255.255.0.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

Interrupt:19 Base address:0xc800

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:295 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:295 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:29138 (28.4 Kb) TX bytes:29138 (28.4 Kb)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ifup eth0 said:

determining ip...done

*ok i think it looks like the router isnt giving it an ip, it cant see the or contact the router and i have no idea what this loop back thingis lol thanks for the help u guys are aweosme i wish i found out about this forum 2 years ago*

you are right, the network cards are there but not assigned ips. please post the contents of your /etc/sysconfig/networkscripts/ifcfg-eth0 file. we will try to fix this manually.

ifup eth0 said:

determining ip...done

this is the thing that worries me... but i believe we will get it running, as the modules are running for your hardware.

cya :)

here is the contents of that file:

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

ONBOOT=yes

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes

that one looks okay... so it really could be a result of using a "wrong" dhcp client. but also make sure that you do not have a firewall enabled while we test your box. the firewall could block your data-transfer if it ain't properly set up. ;)

ok guys i ran dhclient eth0 and i got the following:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Internet Software Consortium DHCP Client V3.0pl2

Copyright 1995-2001 Internet Software Consortium.

All rights reserved.

For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:0e:a6:03:cb:2e

Sending on LPF/eth0/00:0e:a6:03:cb:2e

Sending on Socket/fallback

DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4

DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4

DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11

DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 19

DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10

DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13

No DHCPOFFERS received.

No working leases in persistent database - sleeping

-------------------------------------------------------------

any idea guys i really wanna run a linux platform but i cant without inet :unsure:

the gateway to my router is 192.168.1.1 also i have the name servers of myisp if i need to put that somewhere ;let me know thanks

The reason i think the firewall is off is because when i goto the mandrake control center then secruity there is a firewall part and its set on off but maybe i should go into console and type something to see if everything is really open cuz i dunno maybe there is more options or something console is more reliable it seems like. So how would i check firewall settings just to be sure

Edited by biga2710

hmm... your isp and name server are not the problem here. maybe you could try installing the dhcp3 package from your cds. alternatively try installing resolvconf, pump and dnsmasq (these packages will replace the standard-dhcp package). in the meantime i will do some research why this is not working.

:pc:

hmm... your isp and name server are not the problem here. maybe you could try installing the dhcp3 package from your cds. alternatively try installing resolvconf, pump and dnsmasq (these packages will replace the standard-dhcp package). in the meantime i will do some research why this is not working. 

:pc:

im sorry im such a noob but i dont knwo how to install those packets or where to find them or how to get them. I tried to even play an mp3 cd rom but i couldnt my cdroms arent accessable or something, i think i might have to mount them? But it said its alrdy been mounted and at a certain location. thanks for the help im new :(