Screen Resolution: Linux vs KDE [SOLVED]

lrsach01

Hey all...upgraded from 10.0 to 10.1 and am having the usual "small problems."

First off, I did a clean upgrade. That is, I backed up data and formatted the partitions to get a clean install of 10.1. However, 10.1 doesn't seem to get the screen resolution right. I'm blessed with a lovely big flat panet and was running at 1200X800 which is the "preferred" resolution for this screen. 10.0 easily picked up the Nvidia GeForce5200 and gave me the full range of resolution options. In 10.1, the system defaultedt o 1024X768 ( a small change but a clearly noticeable difference). Using the MCC, I can go in and change the resolution to 1200X800 but KDE seems to force it into a "Virtual Desktop" (ie the screen "floats when the mouse reaches the edge ). So...it looks like linux itself knows the card and its abilities, but KDE doesn't.

Anyone have some pointers for me?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Erm I think there is a advanced tab the MCC for this but if not the easiest way is just editing the config file...  or install xf86cfg which lets you choose exact resolutions and virtual ones or not...

I cannot find any advanced tab in MCC. As for editting the config file, I tried that but I'm not the most experienced person. I accessed the config file /etc/x11/XF86Config. Under the heading Section "Screen" and subheading Subsection "Display" I changed all the 1024X768 settings to 1200X800. WHen I restarted the X server, i had the same "virtual" desktop problem. :furious3:

I did try xf86cfg after Gowater suggested it, but its pretty complex and not very intuitive. I took a look at the man page but it wasn't very helpful.

I'm currently running through a crash course on the XF86config file. Trying to understand the darned thing. My problem MIGHT be a modeline entry that needs adding but I'm not sure. Still looking for expertise. :)

change the resolution in the kde control center and then tell it to always use this setting

There is no setting for that in the KDE control center that I know of. Its certainly not on the "display" tab. Have I missed it?

The other problem is that 1200X800 is not even an available setting under the KDE control center. It is there in the Mandrake Control Center but not KDE. This is the crux of my problem. Mandrake Linux can force my chosen resolution, but KDE cannot go beyond 1024X768.

Open a console and run:

$ krandrtray

That should put a blue icon on your panel by the volume control. Clicking on the icon will display all the resolutions available to the system and you should be able to switch resolutions on the fly. See if you can get your 1200x800 to display properly. If you can click on the icon again and and select "Configure Display" from the menu. That will bring up a window; chceck the box that says "Apply settings on kde startup".

If you get a command not found for krandrtray, you probably don't have all the kde utilities installed.

All that being said, are you sure this is a kde problem, i.e. does the problem disappear in gnome or icewm? If not, it's a problem with your X config file.

Open a console and run:

$ krandrtray

Done...actually, this was default in my setup and the highest resolution I can get is 1024X768. That's it. No more but TONS less...all the way down to 320X240. Its as if KDE just cannot go any farther.

And Durvish...I know that KDE can go higher. My 10.0 went MUCH higher. I wish I made a copy of the config file. :(

Edited by lrsach01

when i get home tonight i'll pm you a copy of mine

Thanks durvish but it looks like it won't be necessary. I fixed it! I just said what the heck, backed up my data, and went tinkering. :cheesy:

First, I went to http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl for their Modeline Generator. I entered my monitor specs and got the info.

Then I dropped into command line and went root. I first ran xf86cfg and entered the important data. This is an intimidating program. So much to mess up so very easily. I stuck to what I knew and saved to the proper files. I then popped open file:/etc/X11/XF86Config and took a look at things. A whole bunch of new items were there. Just for completeness, I added the modeline info from the Generator. Reboot and voila! Nothing! Oh wait...I hadn't changed any setting yet. Everything is just the way it had been set. So I went into MCC and changed to 1280X1024 and ran the test. SUCCESS!!!! :banana:

I'm not clear if the modeline info I added worked or if it was the xf86cfg. Just for kicks and giggles I will go back and comment out that info just to see what happens. Thanks for all the help, everyone. Just shows what a little bit of data backed up fearlessness can do for you. :twisted:

To see what's going on, you could have done (as root)

less /var/log/Xorg.0.log

which would have told you what real resolutions your system would have offered you.

You happened to skip this step and have gone for the solution right away, create your own modeline.

Now, about your reboot, and how you got things working, ... there's a much easier way.

Adapt the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (this is on mdk10.1 still a link to XF86Config, but it is in fact the file that Xorg reads, as it will tell you in the log file in var/log/Xorg.0.log) with the modeline, and the default info about the resolution setting (in the part where the bit depth is specified).

Then just choose "start new session" from the KDE menu.

If the new session (login menu) has the correct resolution, all is fine. If it doesn't, hop back with ctrl-alt-F7 to your original/first session, and if necessary read the log file of the trial you just did at /var/log/Xorg.1.log (note the change in number).

Once you're happy, just log off, then at the login screen hit ctrl-alt-backspace to kill and restart the Xserver, which will then be fine.

Look: no reboot.

In any case, I'm happy that you solved this problem/issue, I just wanted to add some info for others who are having problems in the same area.

To see what's going on, you could have done (as root)

less /var/log/Xorg.0.log

This is the kind of stuff I need to know more. I come from a windows back ground and am more used to wizards than file editing. And I SURE don't know a lot about the command line. Well, probably enough to get me into trouble. :unsure:

Still, each time I've loaded the newest shiniest version of Mandrake, I've had problems. And each time this board has been there with good advice and TONS of help. BTW...all those problems were simple little things that just annoyed me. Once the bugs were ironed out, I'm always back to being the envy of the lab. I've even made a few converts. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest edcjones
Still, each time I've loaded the newest shiniest version of Mandrake, I've had problems. And each time this board has been there with good advice and TONS of help. BTW...all those problems were simple little things that just annoyed me. Once the bugs were ironed out, I'm always back to being the envy of the lab. I've even made a few converts. :)

I have installed three versions of RedHat, two versions of Gentoo, Linspire, and now Mandrake 10.1. There are _always_ a number of annoying and time-consuming problems. I think that much better documentation is needed. Suppose someone is writing, for example, an X.org Configuration HOWTO. He needs to search the Internet for X.org configuration problems, make sure that they are correctly addressed in the HOWTO and make sure that the answer is easy to search for by including relevent keywords.

I have installed three versions of RedHat, two versions of Gentoo, Linspire,  and now Mandrake 10.1. There are _always_ a number of annoying and time-consuming problems. I think that much better documentation is needed. Suppose someone is writing, for example, an X.org Configuration HOWTO. He needs to search the Internet for X.org configuration problems, make sure that they are correctly addressed in the HOWTO and make sure that the answer is easy to search for by including relevent keywords.

Let me be a little clearer about my comments. I've ALWAYS had a few problems with just about EVERY system I've installed. That list inludes MAndrake, Red Hat, Corel, Xandros, WinDOS, Win95, Win98, Win ME (I still have nightmares), WinXP, Knoppix, and several small run linux flavors just because they were in cluded in various magazine subscriptions. When I update my Mandrake box, I don't have to make a complete system back up because of the organisation of the OS. In most cases, with linux I've been back to a working machine with in 1 hour after starting an update. No one I know who has a windows box can say the same. :)

THe tech help here is a MONSTER value. That being said, there is a need for better documentation. man pages are for the highest of the technically literate and less sophisticated users (like myself) are often intimidated and left scratching their heads.