I need good financial software for Linux.

SoulSe

I do not have any experience with software like Quicken or Money or Gnucash, the only book I have ever kept were on spreadsheets (I use gnumeric for that).

So I emerged Gnucash last night and tried to learn it. When I tried the tutorial, it crashed the program. I couldn't quite figure it out on my own, and after importing QIF files, etc. it still didn't make much sense.

So, is Gnucash my best option? Is there an online tutorial somewhere? Or should I RTFM?

I use Gnucash very happily :)

I use Gnucash that way:

- I created bank accounts reflecting the accounts that my wife and I have.

- I created income accounts for the money I get (salary, reimbursements, social security, and so on...)

- I created expense accounts for the money I give, with much detail.

For those last two, I took care that no single account could apply to both "essential/day-to-day" and "facultative/exceptionnal" events. That way, I can later make graphs, for analysing how much money I need on a monthly basis, with or without taking exceptionnal things into account.

Yves.

Gnucash is pretty good (I use it myself) However, like theyinyeti says, it uses double entry bookkeeping. Once you come to grip with that it works fine.

Before I used gnucash I had quicken working under wine. It's more intuiitive and you can use it to budget so you know how much money you will have in 2 months time. Gnucash won't do that.

Last, there are some kde apps http://kde-apps.org/index.php?xcontentmode...992d45df0fd54c0 I tried them all but none is as good as gnucash.

Have fun.

What kind of Mandrake are you running ?? Mandrake RPMs for GnuCash never ever crashed on me!

If you want, give some information about how Gnucash is crashing, and maybe someone will be able to help you... On the other hand, you're far from a newbie in my view, so maybe we won't be of much help.

IMO, Gnucash is really worth it, especially since it can now do automatic regular transactions.

Yves.

What kind of Mandrake are you running ?? Mandrake RPMs for GnuCash never ever crashed on me!

always have for me. i dont know if my thread about my crusade on having it run on mandrake still exists. :)

how is it now? i dont know. i left the budgeting and auditing to my wife. she does a good job better than me anyway. :twisted:

ciao!