Nice simple scanner question

Havin_it

Okay, here goes:

Scanner: HP PSC 750 All-in-one (works very nicely on M10.0 OE thankyou)

Network topology: Belkin 54G wireless all the way; PCMCIA card, DSLmodem/router, and now USB print server (setup EASIER THAN ON WINDOWS! ... for printing anyway...)

Hardware disclaimers:

PSC750: does not support network installation

Print server: multifunction (scan/fax) operations not supported

Additional note: HP JetDirect print server 380x (which allegedly WOULD handle scanning over network) currently priced at about 3x the Belkin. Obsessed with Wifi peripherals I may be, but I ain't that rich...!

Current scenario: print quite happily to network, but no scanning without switching printer back to local USB and switching port in Printerdrake.

THE DREAM: make it do what the manufacturers say it can't. Scan off network. Suggestions?

Dancing banana capability: checking.....

:banana:

[OK]

J/K but I would really like some insight on the likely possibility of this hopeless pipe-dream. I'm used to disappointment.

Here's my thinking thus far:

The JetDirect printserver can handle scans through a Java-based web interface (described as an 'embedded web server'). If the functionality of this server could reside on a local machine, that might solve the problem.

The PSC 750 has a 'Scan To' menu, which I guess is configured by the HP Director software when locally connected. If I can add the local IP address/port of a service that can receive the scan data, that would be potentially a solution.

(IP address not necessarily crucial, as my router can port-forward to a specific machine.)

Just clutching at straws of course - still lacking in hard facts.

The scanner is under my desk, not all that remote. I basically got the server to end the confusion of me and the GF having to reorganise the print config every time we swapped which of us was connected to the printer, or every time I switched between Win and Linux boots.

I read a bit more about Sane/XSane, not to mention the saned server but they're not gonna help me on their own. The server allows a local scanner to be networked to other computers, but the problem is my scanner's no longer local to any machine. If I initiate a scan from the hardware end, I'd have to use port-triggering on the router to even tell it which machine to send to. Right now Sane can't see anything.

Found out more about the 'Scan To list' as well. It's not generated by examining the local machine - well it is, but it's checking against a limited list of known compliant apps. None of which exist in Linux-land, funnily enough. I guess if I could successfully install one of the Apps in WINE, that might bring us up to equivalence with Windoze...

Problem is, I'm not sure which port the scanner would use. Is there a standard?

In the meantime I'll try installing saned (daemon) and see if it has any useful options, but it don't look too promising.

PS - offtopic, but the banana in the smilies panel just stopped dancing. All the others are still going, but he's just frozen, staring straight at me. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

I use a PSC 2510 all in one. I can get the network printing up and running with hpoj and using ptal-init setup. But in order to use the scanner and fax I have to install hpijs from source and follow hp's setup. After that everything works like a charm. Without doing much research (sometimes I get a bit lazy) I think hpoj is the print driver and hpijs is the front end for xsane.

Ah...encouraging...!

What is your network topology though? Is the AIO running off another PC, or a standalone print server? If the latter, is it a HP JetDirect server or something else?

(I should say that the Belkin server is the cheapest of its type on the market. And to clarify my orig. post, the HP JetDirect is about FIVE times the price in most stores.)

i'm using an hp psc 2510 which has built in wireless (it is seen as a jetdirect)

from my experience I can setup the printer for wireless to print using the hpoj driver no prob but the the scanner is not seen. so here is what i normally have to do to have everything working.

1. make sure the hpoj has been installed by mandrake

2. download and istall hpijs in accordance with the hp directions

3. run "ptal-init setup" from console as root

4. set up printer in cups using the ptal address from ptal-init setup

5. from command line (as root) run the scanner find line (this is not the same as the standard xsane line of code, I'm at work now and can't look it up but you can find it in the install tutorial from the hpijs site from hp)

p.s.

you must restart cups after running ptal-init setup so that cups will see the new connection.

as long as your printserver has an ip address all of the above should work smoothly

Make sure hpoj is installed and you have installed hpijs from source as per hp

(i can do this as user but it's already installed -- you may have to do this as root first -- not sure )

in the console type scanimage --list-devices

here is what mine looks like

[durvish@localhost durvish]$ scanimage --list-devices

device `hpoj:hpjd:192.168.0.101' is a hp psc 2500 series multi-function peripheral

if you get this then when you run xsane it should see your scanner