Triple / Quad Booting Tips?

lets-eat-gary

Hi people.

Just got a new computer - XP 3000, 512 MB, 160 Gb SATA.

At the minute i've got XP installed, i am going to install Mandrake 10.1 as soon as i have it, but i also want a development (or possibly 2) version of linux too.

What is the best order to install the OS's.

Here is want i'm thinking

SATA drive 1:

/XP

/Yoper

/Ubuntu

/Mandrake 10.1

- i thought installing mandrake last might make sense as it seems to automatically set up lilo.

- Can i have more than 1 home/swap partiation on one drive.

Also would it be easy to add another version of Linux (i.e -mepis) on a spare IDE drive, so it would be for example:-

SATA drive 1:

/XP

/Yoper

/Ubuntu

/Mandrake 10.1

IDE drive 1:

/Mepis

Anyone any hints on this before i start!

cheers

Various distro's are quite inconsiderate when it comes to bootloaders; they'll include windows, but not other linuxes.

So my advice, each time just create a bootfloppy, so you know: no floppy in the drive: windows. Floppy for system X: system X. Same for system Y and Z.

On various /home partitions, you can use the same on all systems. Or choose not to have one, in which case your data will go onto the / partition of that particular distro.

Naturally, you can make separate /home partitions, one for each system.

On swap: just create one swap, they will all find and use it. (Unless you want to be able to suspend to disk, in which case you have to have separate swap partitions...)

the best thing is imho adding the other linux-distros to lilo or grub (depending on your preferences). it is not very hard to do, although you have to spend attention to what you are typing. and don't forget to restart lilo (lilo -v) when finished.

when hacking the lilo file, start with one alternative linux-distro, finish its config, and restart in order to see if everything went well. if everything is okay, you will have an idea of how to add the other distros. it will save you some headaches. ;)

btw.: if you really want to tinker with linux, how about trying one of the advanced distros (source based ones) on a free partition? you might run into some problems from time to time, but as you examine a system like e.g. slackware or arch, you will learn a lot. although you should read some manuals first :P

if you just started with linux, ignore slack, gentoo, debian or arch and stick with simpler distros like the ones you selected.

I've got a pc that is linux only. I use grub and have one distro install grub on the MBR, the other distros I write grub to the boot sector of the drive the distro is installed to. Then use a live distro (mepis, knoppix, or pclinux) and copy the menu list in the boot sector to the MBR. Here is what my /boot/grub/menu.lst looks like.

timeout 30

color black/cyan yellow/cyan

default 0

title linux

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent vga=788

initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5

title 263-7

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk root=/dev/hda1 devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent

initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img

title failsafe

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 devfs=nomount

title floppy

root (fd0)

chainloader +1

title Suse

kernel (hd0,6)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 vga=0x31a splash=silent desktop resume=/dev/hda5 showopts

initrd (hd0,6)/boot/initrd

title MEPIS at hda6, kernel 2.4.26

kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26 root=/dev/hda6 nomce quiet splash=verbose vga=791 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi

initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd.mepis

savedefault

title MEPIS at hda6, kernel 2.6.7

kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7 root=/dev/hda6 nomce psmouse.proto=imps quiet splash=verbose vga=791

initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd.mepis

savedefault

title mandy10.1

kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 devfs=nomount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent vga=788

initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd.img

title Vidalinux Desktop OS (2.6.8.1-vidalinux_r2)

root (hd0,9)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-vidalinux_r2 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/hda10 vga=0x317 video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr splash=silent acpi=off

initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-vidalinux_r2.img

title Vectorlinux 2.6.7

kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7-ide4 ro noinitrd root=/dev/hda8

root (hd0,7)

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.8.1-3-686

root (hd0,11)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-3-686 root=/dev/hda12 ro quiet splash

initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8.1-3-686

savedefault

boot

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.8.1-2-386

root (hd0,11)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-2-386 root=/dev/hda12 ro quiet splash

initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8.1-2-386

savedefault

boot

title=Yoper GNU/Linux 2.6.8.1-7

root=(hd0,10)

kernel=(hd0,10)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-7 root=/dev/hda11 vga=791 splash=silent

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-7.img

title=slackwhere

root=(hd0,9)

kernel=(hd0,9)/boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.26 root=/dev/hda10 vga=788 splash=silent ro noinitrd

title=slackwhere2.6.7

root=(hd0,9)

kernel=(hd0,9)/boot/vmlinuz-generic-2.6.7 root=/dev/hda10 vga=788 splash=silent ro

initrd=/boot/initrd.gz

I change the distros from time to time and I'll leave the old distro on the boot loader in case I feel like reinstalling for instance Vidalinux. I 've never had a windows partition on this machine but I would think my cut and paste style (i.e. don't do too much thinking ) should work for you. I don't keep to many notes but I should tell you I switched from lilo to grub some time ago because I was having trouble configuring either suse or fedora core with lilo, grub worked and I haven't looked back. hope this gives you some ideas.

Cheers

If you are going to install Ubuntu, install it last. For me I was dual-booting with ArchLinux and Windows and when I installed Ubuntu it detected both Arch Linux and Windows. And I think I had mandrake installed too and it also included it too, so my best guess if you want a bootloader that will automaticly write entries to grub to boot up other distros on the hard drive than I strongly suggest that you try Ubuntu last, worked for me. The only problem that I seem to have once in a while is that when Arch updates a kernel it requires me to re-run LILO, but when I do it over writes the grub bootloader, so usually I have to go back and install grub again...from he ubuntu cd.

-Luis

P.S. Ubuntu is a kick a$$ distro, I'm sure that your going to fall in deep love with it! Enjoy :P